• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm the "noisy neighbor" what are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnCAL

I live in southern california near the beach - we moved into our house over a year ago. For the first 7 months or so we would have people over from time to time, never anything too excessive - then the police started showing up. We received a citation and from that point on, about 6-8 weeks... we've made a concentrated effort not to be in our house on the weekend, so as to not be a problem. Noise hasn't been an issue what so ever - now tonight we have friends visiting in town, we sat around our gas fire place and exchanged a few laughs about old times. The police rolled in and asked us to quiet down... we pointed out the scene to them, and asked what exact ordinance we were breaking - to which they had no response, other than to keep it down. It was upsetting because we have truly gone out of our way, and at the first instance... BOOM, busted. My question is - what are our rights? Don't we have the right to enjoy ourselves at a reasonable level, on our own property? Can someone please explain exactly what we can and can't do - so as to avoid this situation in the future.

PS - we've approached our neighbors and given them our numbers to contact us if there's ever a problem... we've yet to receive a phone call.

FarmerJ

Your city /county govt center can tell you exactly what your communitys noise ords are. If you learn what they are and are not violating them dont worry about it too much. BTW next time a officer shows up a few days later to go the police dept and learn if there is a written report stating what was found while the officer was there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">