• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imminent danger posed by neighboring property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhubarb1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have a property that stands adjacent to an old high school. The section of the high school next to my property has long since been abandoned and is becoming structurally unsound. A large section of the roof caved in and part has begun to fall toward my property. A large section of the soffit hangs precariously over my property and slate shingles are falling from 3-4 stories up landing in the back yard of this property. I have tenants living here with children. I am extremely afraid of something happening. I have liability coverage, but this is not so much about the money/coverage as it is I don't want anyone to get hurt or killed. What are my legal options to force the hand of the owner of the high school? Or do I have any monetary recourse to leave the property vacant while they fix the problem? (they have no plans to do so thus far)

Thank you.

justalayman

who owns the neighboring property (the school property)?

and if you haven't already, take pictures, lots of pictures.

Rhubarb1

The property is owned by a group called The Nelsonville High School Restoration Foundation, Inc. They have little to no money to make the repair and are well aware of the danger the building is causing. Their attitude is, yeah, we know about it, have talked about, and have no money to do anything, so what are you going to do?

The school is within a designated historic district. Complication?

I have pictures.

justalayman

it's time to call your local government office. Not sure how yours is structured but the building department, whomever deals with code compliance, as well as the supervisor of the governing agency, speak to them all.. If you have monthly meetings, attend one and bring it up to the board.

It wouldn't hurt to hire an attorney to at least write a letter demanding action. Copies of pics of especially hazardous situations would be good.

send copies of the letter and pictures to the town council or whatever groups runs the area.

Or do I have any monetary recourse to leave the property vacant while they fix the problem? (they have no plans to do so thus far)
possibly. If the conditions make your property unsafe to inhabit, you might have a case of claiming lost income due to the hazard. The problem with that is it is a retroactive action.

HomeGuru

it's time to call your local government office. Not sure how yours is structured but the building department, whomever deals with code compliance, as well as the supervisor of the governing agency, speak to them all.. If you have monthly meetings, attend one and bring it up to the board.

It wouldn't hurt to hire an attorney to at least write a letter demanding action. Copies of pics of especially hazardous situations would be good.

send copies of the letter and pictures to the town council or whatever groups runs the area.

possibly. If the conditions make your property unsafe to inhabit, you might have a case of claiming lost income due to the hazard. The problem with that is it is a retroactive action.
**A: I agree, so call the local building official and get them to condemn the building and order demolition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">