• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana Easements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fkf_fal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I live in a home that has no access to a developed public road and currently get to my property via a path that crosses several properties. Recently the property nearest the developed road has been sold and the new owner has sent a letter to my husband and I that he will no longer allow us to cross his property. There are 8 other homeowners who also use the path, but we are the only one's that he has excluded. This path has been used to get to our house for over 50 years. I am trying to find out if he can single out only our household for non-use of the path. I had thought that if there is agreement that people can have an easement to cross to get to their properties that it was either all of us or none. Is anyone aware of any recourse we might have and any recommendations on how to approach this? There does not appear to be any specific legal documentation for the easement. It has just been 'understood' since it was first built.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Your best bet is to use the links above to speak to a real estate atty about a easement based on necessity. If you have no other way in or out then perhaps the atty can draw up for you a letter addressing what your legal options are if this other owner landlocks you. With these other 8 owners are they in the same spot where they have no other means of access but over this other property ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">