• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ingress and Egress Easements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eaglerapids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
Hi. I've gotten verbal permission from a neighbor to run a driveway across a small section of his property. Can anyone tell me the most efficient (both time and money) steps to legally make this happen?

He's mentioned needing an assessment afterwards. It affects a very small unusable part of his land-but I want to make them happy as they are willing to work with me and it makes my drive about 50m shorter!

Thanks in advance!
RLC

drewguy

The easiest and most efficient would be a letter agreement granting you permission, which he can terminate with some notice and perhaps for which you compensate him.

The problem with that is if the next owner changes his mind and you've built a driveway in reliance upon it. To protect against that you need to record an easement, which can be drawn up by a lawyer. You presumably would pay the neighbor a modest amount, in addition to the easement legal fees. That would give you and any subsequent owners the the right to use that portion of land for ingress/egress.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">