• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

irrigation run off, sprinklers, fences, animal care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilyluck

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Our neighbor, and we both have horses whose pastures are right next to each other. Prior to us buying our property, our neighbor fenced, and put in an irrigation system in on both our property and his. He did this in an agreement with the old owner with the understanding that he would get to use the pastures, as the old owner didnt have any animals. The old owner supposively told him he would never sell the place. When he put the fences and sprinklers he set it up as if he owned both properties. The previous owner had him move the fences so they were on the property lines, but the sprinklers dont line up right. He also harbors hard feelings about this because once he lost our property, he had 7 horses on less than an acre. He has since given away 3 of the horses, so now he only has 4, but it is still over crowded.

He is also in violation of the convants on the land. He has 8 dogs, and we are only allowed 3 (two if which are kept in 5'X5' kennels 24/7. There are only three properties in a line with the coventants, and the third is also in violation, so if someone was to raise a stink, he would know it was us.

He barely takes care of his horses. He doesnt clean up the manure, doesnt vaccinate, have hoofs trims, he grooms the horses maybe once every 3 months. He feeds them just enough that the animal control wont do anything about it.

Because his "property line" fence is unsafe, his horses are in poor condition, and he has a stallion, we built another fence, inorder to have a buffer zone between our horses and his. We also use this area as a "driveway" for access to our horses. His horse will charge the fence, reach over try to bite me and my horses as I walk by, on MY property. He also has his sprinklers (because they arent on the fenceline due to his poor planning when he set the system up) go right into our road, and make a huge muddy mess. Yesterday one of my horses sunk 8 inches. This is dangerous for the horses, and it is completely due to his sprinklers, we havent had rain here in months. Even when he doesnt have the sprinklers that actually hit our property on, he over waters and we are lower than him, so the yucky poopy water runs onto our property and makes a big mess. Usually there is standing water.. thus breeding grounds for misquitos, etc.

my questions are..

1. are there any laws that would require him to clean up his manure?

2. are there any laws that would require him to build a fence high enough that his horses cant reach over the fence and bite me and my horses?

3. Are there any laws against his excessive irrigation run off and his sprinklers hitting our property?

4. If his horses were to injure me or my horses, either by reaching over the fence, or by breaking through the fence would he be liable?

If there anyway to make him be more considerate? My husband has tried to talk to him about it, but hes not very coopertive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">