• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with neighbors dogs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandafl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My neighbors dogs (boxers) are always getting loose. They bit my husband a year ago (we made the mistake of not doing anything) and now they are chasing my cats and dog. We have already reported them to animal control but the dogs are still getting loose. I'd like to write a letter putting them and the property owner (their father) on notice that next time someone (including my pets) are attacked, I will be filing legal action. What does everyone suggest?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ShyCat

If the boxers are chasing your cats and dog, then your cats and dog are also running loose, right?

amandafl

Cats - yes which is legal in Florida. Dog - No. He is chained up in the front yard when we are outside - otherwise he is inside with us.

usafdrew

I had this exact same problem. What worked in my case was hitting the offender's pocketbook by getting them a citation for leash ordinance. However being the patient, respectful and a little passive of a person I am, the road to resolution was long. When the offending neighbor did not consider my requests for leashing the 5 dogs important, I sent a RRR letter as a warning that I will persue more serious action. Still no change so I video recorded all 5 dogs pretty much chasing me off my own lawn and showed it to Animal Control. Ever since that $125 citation, it has been 6 months with no incident. :D

TigerD

I had this exact same problem. What worked in my case was hitting the offender's pocketbook by getting them a citation for leash ordinance. However being the patient, respectful and a little passive of a person I am, the road to resolution was long. When the offending neighbor did not consider my requests for leashing the 5 dogs important, I sent a RRR letter as a warning that I will persue more serious action. Still no change so I video recorded all 5 dogs pretty much chasing me off my own lawn and showed it to Animal Control. Ever since that $125 citation, it has been 6 months with no incident. :D
You are a much nicer guy than I. If I was being chased off of my own lawn by someone's dog, I'd have shot it.

DC

JustAPal00

You are a much nicer guy than I. If I was being chased off of my own lawn by someone's dog, I'd have shot it.

DC
I was going to post the same thing!

Years ago when my son was under a year old I came home for lunch to see him. My wife was on her way home with him and I beat them home. Shortly after I got home, I was inside and I heard her screaming from out front. The neighbors pit bull had gotten out and had chased her and my son back to her car. He was growling and barking at them from just outside the drivers door of her car. I went and grabbed my loaded .45 and went out to handle it. The dog backed about 20 feet away when it saw me but did not leave. I aimed at the dog and told my wife to go inside the house. The dog just stood there and watched. If it had made one move I would have shot it. I called the police and they came and took the dog away until the owner got home from work. They weren't real happy about how I handled it but said I was within my rights.

usafdrew

DC
If the dogs were coming at me as to attack believe me I would have defended myself appropriately. These are just pesky barking running dogs. I also have a strong feeling that if I killed the neighbor's dog, I would be next.

JustAPal00

If the dogs were coming at me as to attack believe me I would have defended myself appropriately. These are just pesky barking running dogs. I also have a strong feeling that if I killed the neighbor's dog, I would be next.
Nail them with pepper spray!

yushap22

When I was younger, a neighbor let their dog out to attack me when I was walking down the street. My mom shot and killed the dog because it was bit my leg and wouldn't let go. The neighbor was on the porch watching and called the cops, claiming I went into their yard and stole the dog. Total lie that was not believed. Anyway, they got in trouble for letting me be attacked, not for the dog's death.

I don't think killing a dog is a good idea but if someone is being attacked and you can't stop it, there might not be any other choice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">