• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jealous Neighbor Causing Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moonfire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a very nice property in Colorado where we spend our summers. It is a million dollar log home and the nicest in the area but is surrounded by some real junkers. Our closest neighbor is a gal who has a boyfriend that is there on weekends mostly. They are both extremely envious and jealous of our property. Bottom line, last summer she went into one of her alcoholic rages one night while we were gone and vandalized our property. We were out of town. Upon returning we discovered what had happened and called the Sheriff's Office. They came out and it was more than obvious what had happened and who had done it. Absent of a video showing her in action we didn't have a case so dropped it. Very bad feelings have since developed. This summer I put up an 8 foot tall solid non see through cedar fence 200 feet long. It is more of a wall than a fence. I was hoping this might settle some issues since she no longer can see any of our property at all. I put up surveillance camera's on this fence that look along the fence line and into her back yard. I also put up sensor lights that will come on at night when motion is detected. This fence is 3 feet on my side of the property line as I want an area to maintain the back side of the fence. I checked my messages at home today as I am out of town right now. I had a message from the County Sheriff asking to have a meeting with me. It has something to do with the fence, no doubt and probably my camera's as I know she hates them. Hey, she made her bed and I have a right to protect my property and my family from her. She also threatened my wife and I with a shotgun last year, IN FRONT OF THE DEPUTY who came out to look at the damage she did. My question. HAVE I BROKEN ANY LAWS BY HAVING THESE CAMERA'S ON MY FENCE LOOKING INTO HER YARD AND ALONG MY FENCELINE. ?

Moonfire

Did you get all the proper permits to put up the fence?
Permits are NOT required in my county to put up a fence. The Fence is not the issue. It will be the security camera's. We live in unincorporated county in the sticks. No covenants etc.

My question is, "have I broken any laws by putting up security camera's and sensor lights.

Antigone*

Permits are NOT required in my county to put up a fence. The Fence is not the issue. It will be the security camera's. We live in unincorporated county in the sticks. No covenants etc.

My question is, "have I broken any laws by putting up security camera's and sensor lights.
Absolutely not :)

dlw99

Colorado is a one party consent state, so putting up the cameras, even with audio, is not against the law.

However if your cameras are pointing into her yard, where she has a reasonable expectation of privacy, you might have a problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And, to be clear, if they've got an 8' fence (provided so graciously by the OP) then their expectation of privacy may be even more valid ;)

dlw99

Our neighbors used to open our gate, let our dogs loose, and then call the dog catcher. My wife got so mad that she turned the cameras towards the neighbor yard thinking it would make them stop. They took a picture of the cameras and called the police, claiming we were perverts taking video of their children.

OP may think he has a good reason to direct cameras into neighbor's yard, but all such actions accomplish is an escalation in hostilities.

John_DFW

Replace cameras with ones that are not readily visible, or relocate the existing ones to cover the house without aiming at the neighbors property.

Sometimes cameras out of sight is best, other times visible cameras are a deterrent.

Moonfire

Update**************..

After reading some of the replies let me explain a couple things. The ONLY privacy fence this neighbor has is the one I put up and paid for and it is 3 feet my side of the property line. This fence is ONLY between my property and hers. The rest of her property is bordered by two county roads here in very rural Colorado, they are dirt roads. Anyone can stand ON the county road and be 2 feet from my camera and see exactly the same thing my camera can see of her property. She has absolutely NO expectation of Privacy at all anywhere on her property, NONE. In her house, yes, but not outside of her house. County Sheriff came out and we talked. I showed him the situation. He said there is NO law preventing me from watching her property with my camera's because ANYONE can watch all of her property from public property anyway. She is toast. The reason I watch her property is because she vandalized mine last year. She earned the right to be watched. End of story****************************.....It is interesting to read some of the problems neighbors have with each other. It will never end, just a part of life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">