• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just wondering....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom2teengirls

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Ok, this is just out of shear curiosity about easement laws in Ohio. Don't know that I'm even explaining this right, but hopefully you'll get the gist of it and be able to answer the question.

Say you have an easement (for the state/utilities/etc.) on the street side of your property that is 15 feet. Say the state/county/township comes in and wants to widen the street by 4 feet on both sides.

Would that consume 4 feet of allowed 15 feet and only leave 11 feet for them for future use or does the easement get 'reset' to 15 feet, leaving you with 4 feet less property for your own use? And, do easements get measured from center of road or edge of road (probably this is deed specific??)?

Like I said, just pure curiosity. I would think that it just leaves 11 feet, because, theoretically, they could end up on your door step - literally.

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HuAi

The location of the easement is fixed. In this case it woudl be measured from the boundary of your property. You can look at your plot drawing to see if your property boundary goes to the center of the road (this is not uncommon). If the state widens the road by 4 ft, then the unpaved portion of the easement will be decreased by 4 ft. Easement doesn't get "reset" as you put it.

mom2teengirls

The location of the easement is fixed. In this case it woudl be measured from the boundary of your property. You can look at your plot drawing to see if your property boundary goes to the center of the road (this is not uncommon). If the state widens the road by 4 ft, then the unpaved portion of the easement will be decreased by 4 ft. Easement doesn't get "reset" as you put it.
Thank you! That makes complete sense!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">