• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

521kid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello guys!

I have a question about easement in Tennessee.
In 2010 my wife and I purchased 5 acres with a house from a friend of mine. He granted us a 20ft easement so we could use the existing driveway. We never had a survey done but in the contract it clearly states that the 20ft easment ends at the center of the existing driveway.
Since we have lived here I had 1 side of the property surveyed and the property line falls short of the driveway in that 20ft.
We are now thinking of selling the place and the landowner tells me that if I sell I have to put in a new driveway because the 20ft doesn't reach the driveway.
Is this legal that he is forcing me to do this or stay??

Thanks in advance!

justalayman

It is legal for him to require you to settle legal issues before he buys it.

I'm not sure you have the problem you think you do though. If the easement was specified to reach a certain point without an actual description then the surveyor should plot the easement according to the description.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">