• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord from Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Upset Tenant

:( Long Island, New York What is the name of your state?

We currently have the landlord from hell and I need some help. We have been living here for 13 yrs we take the garbarge out and showel in the winter and make simple repairs if needed because they are older and we felt bad that they should n't have to do those thing. For the last 10 years our landlord has not provided sufficent heat in the winter months. We've asked for heat and she says she isn't buying new windows (I've turned my stove on to provide heat) we told her we don't want new windows we just want heat. We had a mold issue in the bathroom we told our landlord and she said she would fix it. 4 years later and it's just been fixed only because the bathroom tiles started to give way in the bathroom and it was leaking into her bathroom, for which she accused us of destroying the bathroom. She constantly watches us leave the house and come home to see what we are carriing in and out. She has on numerouse occasions opened our mail and then said sorry I thought it was mine. One time she even kept a piece of mine that was from our attorney.
She harrass our children always yelling at them and watching them to the point they are afraid of her. We have stayed here only because we love the neighborhood and the school. We have finally given our 30 notice I gave her a check for the difference of our security - current rent. We are due the interest of our security which is what I didn't give her - calling it even. She has cashed my check and now she is slandering us in the neighborhood. What can I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">