• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawn sprinklers and pipe on our property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbebbin1971

What is the name of your state? DE

About 9 months ago a neighbor had a lawn sprinkler system installed. Last week we had the 4 corners of our property line staked. It turns out that the entire length of one side of their sprinkler system is within or property (about 200 ft length and encroached from 18inches to 6inches).

If we leave as is can the neighbor "claim" the land the sprinklers are on after a certain number of years? We have not spoken to the neighbor yet as to what he needs to do but would like some advice as if we sell our house in a few years we do not want any complications or boundary issues.

tranquility

Send a letter to the neighbor regarding the boundry issue. Give them your permission, revocable at any time, regarding the tresspass. Since you want to record it in some way and make it all legal like, I'd pay an attorney to write the letter. One cannot get adverse possession if the possession is not adverse.

Orcons

Send a letter to the neighbor regarding the boundry issue. Give them your permission, revocable at any time, regarding the tresspass. Since you want to record it in some way and make it all legal like, I'd pay an attorney to write the letter. One cannot get adverse possession if the possession is not adverse.
This is reasonable advice. I might look at it another way, though. Right now it should be pretty easy for them to move the sprinkler. At some time in the future there may be plantings, a shed, a fence, who knows what that might make it more difficult to move the sprinkler line. If in the future you or a successor owner wants them to move the line, even though you will have every right to do so, it will probably cause a lot of ill will and maybe even an action against you (notwithstanding any documentation you have) as the owners of that lot might try to find some loophole in whatever agreement you had. You also would have to explain the arrangement to any potential buyer and some may not want to get involved. I would bite the bullet now and point out the encroachment and ask them to move the line. I think it will save you aggravation down stream.

(I don't know if you have sprinklers but you also will have to worry about not cutting the line. I have sprinklers and a landscaper cut the line while doing some other work. Who is responsible if you accidentally cut their line on your property? Again, more headaches you don't need.)

Edit: I just noticed the title of your post. If the sprinkler heads themselves are on your property that is even more of a problem. If you put up a solid fence on the property line, the sprinklers are going to be watering your fence, no? Have them move it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">