• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on fences and the property they are on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gdizzle

What is the name of your state? California

If a fence is put up and it is over your property line and taking a corner away from a neighbors property, and it is never contested, is there a time frame in which the property will eventually become yours? I thought I read this somewhere. Is there any truth to this?

Orcons

Yes, you are thinking of adverse possession. The time frame and the requirements vary by state, though, and each case is considered based on what exactly happened. I believe that someone posted a while back on these boards that in CA the claimant needs to have paid taxes on the property being claimed which is pretty unlikely if you are talking about a small corner of someone's property. You should see a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">