• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaning Tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rtnmead

I have a house in Washington State, and my neighbors tree is now leaning heavily over my house, and appears it may fall. I am currently living is California and have the house rented out. Do I need to send the neighbor a note (just in case a storm causes the tree to fall) reflecting my concerns about the tree? If so, what should the general wording reflect?

FarmerJ

Since your out of state were pics sent to you to show you the situation ? Fair odds are your best bet is to hire a arborist to evaluate the trees health & tree trim service to trim the parts of the tree that are definitely at risk of crashing into your house. BUT be carefull to make sure the service understands that if there is risk that the tree will die then they are not to do the work but to send you a written report as to the trees current health So you can contact the other property owner via certified mail including a copy of the report and see if they would be interested in sharing the cost of removal. If they dont or wont then try one last time with another letter reminding them that the first letter put them on notice that the tree posed a risk to your property and if it damaged your property it would be very likely your insurance company would likely go after them suing and very likely could win since they had notice the tree wasnt healthy and the chance to help remove risk of damage to your property. ( they might go for it then other wise if they dont then your best off seeing a atty and showing them the pics and report and getting a opinion from atty about the odds of neighbor wining a claim that tree was harmed / killed by your trimmer) Sound like a hassle ? yes but then again its about you self protecting .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">