• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to record neighbor violating no-leash dog ordinance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wysiwyg6000

NJ

I have the unfortunate luck of living above a crazy person in a condo complex. For the past year, she's had a dog that barks CONSTANTLY and it's driving me crazy! It's damaging my emotional health and even my physical health due to the constant stress. I can't just sit and relax anymore. The dog has serious emotional issues as well which is why it barks constantly, sometimes for nothing. Additionally,she lets the dog run loose in the communal parking lot where it zooms back and forth without a leash. I've been recording her in the lot with the intention of sending to the police for a massive fine. I figure this is a more effective way of getting her fined as opposed to barking, which is subjective. However, I am concerned about the legality of this. Can you confirm if recording her in the parking lot doesn't violate anyone's privacy or civil liberties?

NC Aggie

Well I definitely don't believe there is anything illegal about recording under the circumstances and for the purposes you described. The legality issues would only come into play if you illegally accessed the premises or private property to make recordings of someone or something. However, if you're did this recording from your condo or common area that you legally have access to then I think you're covered.

However, you may want to verify that your City's leash law covers private residential communities. I know with some leash laws that only public properties, streets, parks, etc are covered by the laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">