• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to tape neighbors? (CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Impatiens

What is the name of your state? California.

I have neighbors who constantly fight with each other and yell profanities so loudly that I can't make a phone call, watch TV or listen to music without shutting all the windows. I have audio taped them from inside my living room, then went to the police dept to see what could be done. I was told by the officer that it is illegal for me to tape my neighbors without them knowing, even inside my own home! I don't believe this is true. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Impatiens

rmet4nzkx

Impatiens said:
What is the name of your state? California.

I have neighbors who constantly fight with each other and yell profanities so loudly that I can't make a phone call, watch TV or listen to music without shutting all the windows. I have audio taped them from inside my living room, then went to the police dept to see what could be done. I was told by the officer that it is illegal for me to tape my neighbors without them knowing, even inside my own home! I don't believe this is true. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Impatiens
While not wiretaping it is recording of confidential communications

http://www.rtnda.org/resources/hiddencamera/california.html

just tape them with a videocamera and say its a surveilance tape. nothing illegal about having security for your property.

Impatiens

Thanks for the replies. I need to clarify that these are not meant to be confidential conversations. They yell at the top of their lungs, walking up and down the street screaming obscenities at neighbors. They are being evicted for this behavior. Will the eviction fail because the "evidence" was not legal? Isn't there some way to put a stop to this behavior without constantly calling our severely understaffed police dept?

I like the idea of the video tape for surveillance.

Thanks.
Impatiens

BelizeBreeze

Impatiens said:
Thanks for the replies. I need to clarify that these are not meant to be confidential conversations.
And that is NOT a requirement under law. All that is needed is for your neighbors to have an 'expectation of privacy' under the legal definition and being in their own home is that.
Impatiens said:
They yell at the top of their lungs, walking up and down the street screaming obscenities at neighbors.
Then call the polce.
Impatiens said:
They are being evicted for this behavior.
And none of your business and really isn't the problem then solved?
Impatiens said:
Will the eviction fail because the "evidence" was not legal?
What evidence? your illegal taping of them? What part in the eviction do you have?
Impatiens said:
Isn't there some way to put a stop to this behavior without constantly calling our severely understaffed police dept?
You could shoot them, beat the crap out of them and ride them out of town on a rail or use the police for what they are employed...to keep the peace.
Impatiens said:
I like the idea of the video tape for surveillance.
Thanks.
Impatiens
I hope you like criminal and civil penalties also. Got about $500,000 laying around?

there is no law against videorecording from your property. everyday, most people are caught on numerous cameras from the gas station to the bank to pizzeria. these people aren't getting sued for having security surveillance. why would it be any different if you did it. and also, wiretapping is alot different than videotaping with sound. wiretapping is a totally different matter. you actually have to break in to their house or phone line to wiretap.

my mother videotaped a noisy dirtyard next door with a decibal reader in view. this was encouraged by our lawyer and was used as evidence against them. this was in texas, california may be a little different, but from experience i know this is what my mother did and she was never charged with anything.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

atxcoolguy said:
there is no law against videorecording from your property. everyday, most people are caught on numerous cameras from the gas station to the bank to pizzeria. these people aren't getting sued for having security surveillance. why would it be any different if you did it. and also, wiretapping is alot different than videotaping with sound. wiretapping is a totally different matter. you actually have to break in to their house or phone line to wiretap.
Your response to this thread leads me to believe you are totally ignorant of federal laws regarding recording of conversations and activities.

I suggest you read 18 USC 2510, et seq, The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 which can be found here.

rmet4nzkx

atxcoolguy said:

my mother videotaped a noisy dirtyard next door with a decibal reader in view. this was encouraged by our lawyer and was used as evidence against them. this was in texas, california may be a little different, but from experience i know this is what my mother did and she was never charged with anything.
This is California, We are citing CALIFORNIA law not Texas law! Please do not give advice if you don't know what you are talking about! It does no good to give your unprofessional and incorrect advice based on a law for a different state!

Last edited:
so belize breeze, why wasn't my mother charged with a crime? why was this used as evidence? if it was illegal to videorecord, wouldn't my mom be in federal prison and this evidence thrown out? and if it's california law, why are you quoting federal law?

rmet4nzkx

California has specific laws re recording confidential conversations, be it eavesdropping, wiretapping and or videotaping. If you read the Federal statute, which applies to all states, you will notice the if and or when State law is more comprehensive, State law applies. In other words, the Federal statute is the minimum required. What your mother did in Texas is not relevant to OP's question. Furthermore, in many cases, there is notice of survailence as required by law, or a specific exception where confidentiality laws would be waived. In this case, OP cannot intentionally record their conversations, now if they are so loud that when they call the police, the dispatcher can hear the noise, then that is different.

Impatiens

BelizBreeze:

They are not in their homes when this happens. They are in the yard disturbing the peace for several neighbors or walking up and down the street in front of our homes.

Why is the eviction my business? Because I am being harassed by the evictees for being one of several neighbors who has called the police when they have physical fights and complained to the park office when they have 13 unneutered dogs when the park only allows 2 pets per home. It is also my business when this neighbor pounds on my door to scream at me, and threatenes to burn my house down (which I have on tape). It is also my business when their son threatens to beat the *** out of me. The attorney contacting me to ask questions also makes it my business.

Impatiens

Impatiens

I appreciate all the input on this topic. Thanks!

One additional item: The initial tape of them screaming happened while I was home, sitting in my living room with a pile of work I brought home from the office as I was dictating into my microcassette recorder.

BelizeBreeze

atxcoolguy said:
so belize breeze, why wasn't my mother charged with a crime? why was this used as evidence? if it was illegal to videorecord, wouldn't my mom be in federal prison and this evidence thrown out? and if it's california law, why are you quoting federal law?
Further ignorance on your part does not impress. If you don't know the difference between state and federal laws, jurisdictional pervue and the inter-jurisdictional restraint to double-jeopardy, I'm not going to teach you.

The fact is, you have no idea of what you speak and your advice at best, will land the poster with a civil suit to defend.

As to you Impatiens, NOWHERE in your post have you stipulated they were ONLY outside the home. So lose the attitude.

Cal. Penal Code §§ 631, 632: It is a crime in California to intercept or eavesdrop upon any confidential communication, including a telephone call or wire communication, without the consent of all parties.

It is also a crime to disclose information obtained from such an interception. A first offense is punishable by a fine of up to $2,500 and imprisonment for no more than one year. Subsequent offenses carry a maximum fine of $10,000 and jail sentence of up to one year.

Eavesdropping upon or recording a conversation, whether by telephone (including cordless or cellular telephone) or in person, that a person would reasonably expect to be confined to the parties present, carries the same penalty as intercepting telephone or wire communications.

Conversations occurring at any public gathering that one should expect to be overheard, including any legislative, judicial or executive proceeding open to the public, are not covered by the law.

An appellate court has ruled that using a hidden video camera violates the statute. California v. Gibbons, 215 Cal. App. 3d 1204 (1989). However, a television network that used a hidden camera to videotape a conversation that took place at a business lunch meeting on a crowded outdoor patio of a public restaurant that did not include "secret" information did not violate the Penal Code's prohibition against eavesdropping because it was not a "confidential communication." Wilkins v. NBC, Inc., 71 Cal. App. 4th 1066 (1999).

Anyone injured by a violation of the wiretapping laws can recover civil damages of $5,000 or three times actual damages, whichever is greater. Cal. Penal Code § 637.2(a). A civil action for invasion of privacy also may be brought against the person who committed the violation. Cal. Penal Code § 637.2.

The REASON you may be called to testify as to the eviction is for what YOU yourself heard. The tapes won't make it into court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">