• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of surveillance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formongo

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

As I detailed in another post, we are having a border dispute with our neighbor -- part of her horse paddocks (she runs a horse farm and gives riding lessons) are on our property. We will be sending her a letter early next week stating that if she doesn't move her fence by a specific date we will remove it for her and/or start legal proceedings against her. She is a vindictive person and we are concerned that any futher action on our part (she's already received two letters from us about this) will result in some sort of retaliation by her. We strongly suspect she removed one of the survey markers from the survey we had done last fall (her surveyor told us she removed it), and we suspect that she may have had a hand in the theft and property damage that has occured on the land near the disputed fence. Given the history with her, we are considering getting a surveillance camera for that part of our property so that if futher vandalism or retaliation occurs we can catch the culprit (whether it's her or not). Where could I get information on the legality of video surveillance for my state (Massachusetts)?

S

seniorjudge

formongo said:
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

As I detailed in another post, we are having a border dispute with our neighbor -- part of her horse paddocks (she runs a horse farm and gives riding lessons) are on our property. We will be sending her a letter early next week stating that if she doesn't move her fence by a specific date we will remove it for her and/or start legal proceedings against her. She is a vindictive person and we are concerned that any futher action on our part (she's already received two letters from us about this) will result in some sort of retaliation by her. We strongly suspect she removed one of the survey markers from the survey we had done last fall (her surveyor told us she removed it), and we suspect that she may have had a hand in the theft and property damage that has occured on the land near the disputed fence. Given the history with her, we are considering getting a surveillance camera for that part of our property so that if futher vandalism or retaliation occurs we can catch the culprit (whether it's her or not). Where could I get information on the legality of video surveillance for my state (Massachusetts)?

You may legally videotape any part of your property that you wish. You don't need to videotape her property since what she does on her own side of the line is none of your concern (unless she's shooting a gun across the fence at you).

formongo

Thanks for the very quick reply! Sounds like we are all set, then, as long as we limit the camera to recording events on our property only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">