• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Light Trespass

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stonewall900

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

I live in rural town in maine. My neighbor has recently started leaving an excessively bright light on from 7pm until 6am. This light is very bright, harsh and has a orange glow that penitrates and illuminates our house and yard to the point of affecting my families ability to sleep. We can not enjoy our backyard and deck when this light is on as it is so harsh. We have asked them three times to turn it off and find another type of light and/or put this on a motion sensor but they refuse to even discuss other options claiming it is a security light and they have the right to leave it on. I have contacted our local zoning officer but he is not sure there is any zoning requlations reqarding this issue. Assuming there are no zoning restrictions, what are my options to resolves this? Thanks for any help/guidance.

Shel77

Purchase an even brighter light and shine it directly onto his property, house windows, ect just as he has done to you. Then neither of you will be able to sleep and eventually one person will give in. Also think of having a large mirror erected to shine his light back onto his house.

FarmerJ

Dont forget you can allways become involved in your town board and encourage them to create new zoning ordinances that address lighting . It may be too late now to do anything . Ask them nicely in a letter to please re aim the light or to try another style .

HomeGuru

stonewall900 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Maine

I live in rural town in maine. My neighbor has recently started leaving an excessively bright light on from 7pm until 6am. This light is very bright, harsh and has a orange glow that penitrates and illuminates our house and yard to the point of affecting my families ability to sleep. We can not enjoy our backyard and deck when this light is on as it is so harsh. We have asked them three times to turn it off and find another type of light and/or put this on a motion sensor but they refuse to even discuss other options claiming it is a security light and they have the right to leave it on. I have contacted our local zoning officer but he is not sure there is any zoning requlations reqarding this issue. Assuming there are no zoning restrictions, what are my options to resolves this? Thanks for any help/guidance.
**A: do you have a rifle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">