• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Look out...LANDSLIDE!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akboofer

Alaska

About nine years ago, a mudslide occurred behind the house I now own. My house narrowly avoided destruction, though the back porch was taken out.

The uphill neighbors property had become unstable, saturated due to significant rain and poor drainage, and slid down onto what is now my property. I understand that the insurance company for my home's previous owner sued and won some damages...though I do not know the details (I'll begin looking). From what I have heard, the person who owns the uphill property was quite livid and fought any responsibility for the slide.

Further, I understand that some repairs were made: mud debris was removed and the hillside (on mine and my neighbors property) stabilized with some grading, trenching and rock.

However, in the ensuing years it appears the repairs no longer are working well and I am seriously concerned that my wife and I may find ourselves with unscheduled mud baths. The drainage ditches were not maintained and are now full of silt. Erosion of my neighbors steep hillside is evident and water sheets down from his property with virtually no control.

To make matters worse, I have water drained onto my property from three sides...but it is the hillside behind me that is the immediate concern.

Questions:

1: Generally what level of responsibility does an adjacent property owner have to control storm water and runoff from their property; and more specifically, in circumstances where there is a proven danger of adverse effects what's their responsibility?

2: If my uphill neighbor refuses to address the situation when I ask him, what is your recommended course of action (i.e. contact the City to see if they enforce this type of thing, sue in court, stick pins in a voodoo doll, move to Canada, etc?).

Thanks

divgradcurl

You really need to sit down with a local real estate attorney. The answers to all of your questions are really dependent upon the facts, and there are likely local ordinances that cover some of your questions. For example, runoff may be something that is under control of the adjacent neighbor -- but, then again, water runs downhill, so their control may be limited. It will depend on local rules, how much they have changed the natural flow of water, etc. And all of this may be dependent in some way on the original damage settlement, so you will need to review that as well.

In other words, this is sufficiently complicated -- and potentially sufficiently expensive -- to suggest your own lawyer, who can review all of the actual facts of your situation and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">