• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mailbox, Parking Oh My!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ummonx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Not sure there is anything I can do about this but I figured I'd ask. I bought a home recently. The boundary (I need to confirm this but I found the property marker) is an old rock wall. Its on a private road owed by an association (only the road the houses are not bound by a HOA). In any case its a narrow dirt road and people have carved out small parking areas here and there. One of which straddles the boundary between mine and my neighbors property.

So we just settled in and this gentleman came over to inform us that my wife was parking "in his spot" (yes on the road). So I invited him in, offered him a drink and spoke with him in a civilized manner and the take away was that essentially we would rarely need to park there and even though it is a road I would call him if I ever needed it.

In any case when we bought the place we noticed a old falling down mailbox in front of our property. Being its rather rural I simply assumed that it was an old one from the former owners. I was actually planning to rip it out until my neighbor called me to tell me that my wife (who had parked there the earlier) was blocking his mailbox.

Now I know like the parking situation the mailbox is in the right of way. I think he put it there so he could "claim" the parking area in front of my property. Whatever, he is old. that's what old people do.

As I said this mailbox is on its last legs. One or two good storms will wash it down the hill into my yard. Should something like this happen what can I do to ensure he doesn't put another one in front of my house?

Thanks in advance

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Not sure there is anything I can do about this but I figured I'd ask. I bought a home recently. The boundary (I need to confirm this but I found the property marker) is an old rock wall. Its on a private road owed by an association (only the road the houses are not bound by a HOA). In any case its a narrow dirt road and people have carved out small parking areas here and there. One of which straddles the boundary between mine and my neighbors property.

So we just settled in and this gentleman came over to inform us that my wife was parking "in his spot" (yes on the road). So I invited him in, offered him a drink and spoke with him in a civilized manner and the take away was that essentially we would rarely need to park there and even though it is a road I would call him if I ever needed it.

In any case when we bought the place we noticed a old falling down mailbox in front of our property. Being its rather rural I simply assumed that it was an old one from the former owners. I was actually planning to rip it out until my neighbor called me to tell me that my wife (who had parked there the earlier) was blocking his mailbox.

Now I know like the parking situation the mailbox is in the right of way. I think he put it there so he could "claim" the parking area in front of my property. Whatever, he is old. that's what old people do.

As I said this mailbox is on its last legs. One or two good storms will wash it down the hill into my yard. Should something like this happen what can I do to ensure he doesn't put another one in front of my house?

Thanks in advance

Contact your local postmaster about the mailbox, but I suspect there is nothing improper about its placement.

JustAPal00

Thanks in advance
As for the parking situation, you need to find out for sure who owns the road and if their is any thing in writing saying who gets to park there (if it's a public road).

As far as the mail box that is up to the post office. You can't just make him move it or replace it somewhere else if it falls down. Their is probably a easment along the front of your property.

Ummonx

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be something like that. I wasn't going to make him move the mailbox. Just if it washes into my driveway. Its not that big of an issue that I am going to go to war over it.

The road is owned by the a private association that we pay to maintain. Nothing in writing about who parks where. As I said its an old man who likes to yell at clouds.

But thank you

154NH773

I agree that the Post Office may have some say in the placement of the mailbox, but generally the box should be in front of the property it serves. You can request through the post office that they require him to move it, which they may do. That would take you out of the argument with the neighbor. I complained about a PO Mail Drop Box placed in front of my house that caused people mailing letters to block my driveway, and the PO moved it. (Admittedly, not exactly the same).

As to the parking; It is a private road, and you are a dominent tenant having certain rights along with others. Find out from the HOA what those rights are, and if any give your neighbor the right to park in front of your house as "his spot". Inform him that you have checked, and the "spot" may not be claimed by him, but for purposes of good relations you won't park there so his wife can easily park.

If he gives you a hard time, get a big truck and park it in the spot until he "forgets" that he ever wanted to park there. Or; park the truck in front of his house.

Ummonx

Here is the weird thing about the HOA. It doesn't really exist. Its got bylaws which haven't been enforced for 30 years. I am not even sure they are valid anymore. There is no home owners association, No right to fine people. Nada Nothing.

The only thing that really binds us is the road that is owned by a corporation set up to for maintenance. My neighbor informed us that the "association" doesn't allow cars parked on the road but I can't find anything in my 30 year old bylaws and pretty much everyone ignores it. When he told me this I asked him why he parks on the road then!

As I said this is an old dude with too much time on his hands. The only thing that really annoys me at this point is the mailbox and the fact he gets aggressive with my wife until I start talking to him.

154NH773

The Articles of Incorporation, and/or the Bylaws, or perhaps your deed, should state who must belong to the HOA (Road Association), and what the process is for maintenance, etc.

Since it is a private road, the police will not enforce any of the rules, and since the HOA seems to be defunct, you may be able to do anything you want. If you are paying fees to an HOA, then it can't be defunct, so who are the officers of the HOA. Go talk to them.

This is not the best situation to be in, especially if you want to sell your house someday. You should make an effort to determine your legal rights, and your share in the maintenance. I have been fighting for nine years to try and straighten out poorly written deeds and Road Association documents for the road that serves my property. There is a Road Association, but there's no requirement for anyone to belong.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">