• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maintaining Privacy Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbeaucha

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri.
My neighbor (renter) has a privacy fence around their property but are using my fence as the fourth boundary.
My fence is 8" on my property at the North end and right on the line on the South end.
I can't get into their yard to trim or apply weather treatment to the wood.
Question is... Do I have the right to remove a section of my fence, to do the maintenance on the side of the neighbor?
Thanks bunch

HomeGuru

dbeaucha said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri.
My neighbor (renter) has a privacy fence around their property but are using my fence as the fourth boundary.
My fence is 8" on my property at the North end and right on the line on the South end.
I can't get into their yard to trim or apply weather treatment to the wood.
Question is... Do I have the right to remove a section of my fence, to do the maintenance on the side of the neighbor?
Thanks bunch

**A: pf couirse you can since it's your fence and your yard.

ralph31

A gate for personal passage is easy to construct.

Tennessee

I constructed a small gate for access to the other side of my fence that is set within my property line.

Remove a section of the fence that leaves a wide enough gap for you to step through. Two cuts, three or four boards apart, in each of the top, bottom and possible middle support boards with one side of the gap adjacent to a post. Buy three small hinges at Home Depot for the purpose of securing one side of your new gate near a post. You can put a simple latch opposite the hinges to thwart access to your main property area from the opposite side of the now gated fence.

With only eight inches you will not have a lot of room for maintenance.
Hopefully, your neighbor will be cooperative by allowing you to step onto her property. She may feel that you have created a situation that gives you unwanted access to her property, but then you are bearing the burden of maintaining your fence.

A side benefit is that you will have access to the eight inch wide strip of property for your use to thwart any attempt at adverse possession by the neighbor.

ralph31

Oops on gate construction.

Still in Tennessee

You will probably have to erect a support post behind that area of the fence opposite of where you made the first cut near a post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">