• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marking No Trespassing boundries?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I lease a commercial building for hobby use. It seems given the location and type of my building, and, the fact that there are other businesses around, nobody thinks there is such a thing as "trespassing".

Part of my outdoor parking area is attached to everyone else's parking lot. My end of the lot is mine and mine only, I have it written in the lease that this is to be considered private property. I find too many people wondering around in my space where they shouldn't, leaving garbage where they shouldn't, and worst of all, parking where they shouldn't.

I have attached "private property" and "no trespassing" signs to various places on my building. The problem is, there is no obvious border around my outdoor space where people are intruding. I would put up a fence, but then I couldn't drive through, and that would be very expensive on property I don't own.

My question is, what kind of "legal" border do I need to keep people out, or to be able to charge them with trespassing if need be? Since it's not marked now, I don't think there really is "trespassing", unless they try to come inside my building or I verbally explain my property lines.

Can I paint a simple line on the asphalt that defines my space? Obviously that can't keep anyone from crossing, but I wonder if that would be a "legal fence" in combination with the no trespassing signs?

NC Aggie

Well even if you marked the boundaries of the property you're leasing, I think the issue would still be enforcing it. I'm skeptical that the police would even respond to a call or treat it as trespassing being that the parking lots are conjoined. You probably could enforce the parking by contracting a towing company, but you have to be certain that you follow the ordinances of your city/town and marking the parking spaces and lot with the appropriate signs.

It's not so much that I would be calling the police about it...but rather, I can threaten to with full legal force. (can I?) I can't find the specific law now, but I remember something about Oregon trespassing law saying something to the effect of "if there is no obvious signs, fence, or other barrier, then you aren't trespassing".

I am definately looking into contracting with a towing company. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">