• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dog killed neighbors dog on our property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Max1

I was outside on my porch with my dog and child. Next thing I know my dog is attacking the neighbors dog that came onto my property at bottom of my yard unleashed. I separated the dogs and then rushed the dog to the vet because owner couldn't take the dog immediately. I stayed at the vets office till owner arrived and paid the $400 bill without any hesitation. Being a dog lover and upset that this happened it was the very least I could do. The dog was taken to ER vet and unfortunately passed away. Since then I've been getting personal attacks via text & demanded to pay the $1000 bill. I replied very nicely and again saying how sorry I am that this happened and that I'd be glad to pay the $1000. Since then they have now demanded that I pay for a new dog. I politely refused and said we had been more then fair with agreeing to pay the whole vet bill but will not pay more then vet $1000 bill and I needed agreement from them before I hand over the cashiers check in my possession that this releases us from further payments. Owner stopped replying. Should I file report with sheriff? Don't know if this will make my dog deemed dangerous if we do that. We feel awful that this has happened and it's heartbreaking knowing our neighbors lost there beloved dog. But at what point does the owner assume some responsibility for a dog that constantly gets loose from there fenced in yard. We can't assume full responsibility since the owner has a responsibilty to have the dog on a leash or contained in there own yard. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
My dog is a big 70lb mixed rescue dog and neighbors a small 7lb Silky. My state is NC.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was outside on my porch with my dog and child. Next thing I know my dog is attacking the neighbors dog that came onto my property at bottom of my yard unleashed. I separated the dogs and then rushed the dog to the vet because owner couldn't take the dog immediately. I stayed at the vets office till owner arrived and paid the $400 bill without any hesitation. Being a dog lover and upset that this happened it was the very least I could do. The dog was taken to ER vet and unfortunately passed away. Since then I've been getting personal attacks via text & demanded to pay the $1000 bill. I replied very nicely and again saying how sorry I am that this happened and that I'd be glad to pay the $1000. Since then they have now demanded that I pay for a new dog. I politely refused and said we had been more then fair with agreeing to pay the whole vet bill but will not pay more then vet $1000 bill and I needed agreement from them before I hand over the cashiers check in my possession that this releases us from further payments. Owner stopped replying. Should I file report with sheriff? Don't know if this will make my dog deemed dangerous if we do that. We feel awful that this has happened and it's heartbreaking knowing our neighbors lost there beloved dog. But at what point does the owner assume some responsibility for a dog that constantly gets loose from there fenced in yard. We can't assume full responsibility since the owner has a responsibilty to have the dog on a leash or contained in there own yard. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
My dog is a big 70lb mixed rescue dog and neighbors a small 7lb Silky. My state is NC.
If this occurred entirely on your property, then why would you pay anything? That's a rhetorical question from a legal standpoint. It sounds like you are a compassionate person and that is why you paid the $400, but the reality of it is that you have more of a case to recover your $400 than they do for recovering anything from you.

FarmerJ

were you able to determine how the neighbors dog was able to get into your property ? meaning like is there a fence and it appears A dog may have dug under it? Id suggest you stop while you are ahead and if the neighbor really wants to sue you in small claims court they can choose to do that where they will have ample opportunity to prove to a court that you are at fault. ( while they try to explain how their dog got out of their yard ) BTW if you did file a police report keep in mind that you do risk any consequence your city has like say if they required dog insurance rider from owners of any dog who has bitten anything.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">