• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Driveway.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luisa

What is the name of your state? tx
I have lived at my home for over 20 years and the neighbor next door had his property measured. 13inches of what I call my driveway is on his property line and he wants me to stop parking there, claiming I am distroying his property and that he wants me to find somewhere else to park. When h:( e bought that house 3 years ago, he knew that was my driveway. Do I have to move my van?

danno6925

He needs to prove it!

Wow, your van is only 13 inches wide? Must be one of those european vans I've heard so much about :D

Short answer: If you can reasonably park outside of the lines he's claiming to be his, do so, but only after he proves it's his.

Longer answer:
Inform your neighbor that you will continue parking on the driveway you have been using for 20 years (or however many years you've been parking there) until such time as he proves it is not your property to park on, and that his claim simply isn't enough. You'll need to see a copy of the survey that he's basing his claims on before you'll give up your claim to the land. You can pretty much tell him to bite rocks until he can produce proof that it's his land.

Even then, you can get a prescriptive (sp?) easement, or even claim adverse posession to the strip. Bottom line, he can't just show up at your door and tell you not to park in your own driveway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">