• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Fence On Property Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Petemac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

We have owned our home for 17 years. Our fence is right on the property line. We've had 2 different people move in and out of the property next door with no questions or problems with the fence placement. The house recently sold and the new neighbors want to erect a fence. If they have their property surveyed and find our fence is on the property line (not on their property at all) can they make us move our fence? Would it be "grandfathered" in since its been there so long? We've not had an issue with the neighbor yet regarding this so I have no reason to consult an attorney yet.

I just want to get a feel for what may happen. Thank you!!!!

STEPHAN

Usually a fence on the property line is fine, but there may be local ordinances set by cities and counties, subdivision rules (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) regulating fencing.

justalayman

the "line" is an immeasurable point where the two properties meet. If your fence breaches that line, it is a trespass and not allowed. So, does the fence, at any point, breach that line or is it abutted to the line? Last one is OK, first one isnt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">