• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Neighbor claims MY mailbox is on his lot. . isn't my mailbox the citys property???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jingles1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am soo glad I found this website today. Where to begin? My neighbor who keep in mind...is a registered sex offender and disabled adult, lets his dog use our mailbox as his tiolet. Not only that but he claims OUR and neighbor across street from us, have our mailboxes on HIS lot. His mailbox is not anywhere near our two. We moved here over 6 years ago and him and his mother we already residents of this street. His shack of a home is kitty-corner behind us and there is a bare lot which belongs to him right to the left of us. Mailboxes are to left of our driveway..at edge of this bare lot.

Before I ask the many questions I desperately need answered, I'd like to give a brief history on our relationszhip with this man. Maybe two years ago we had a man in an SUV barely miss hitting me as I pulled into my driveway. He jussst missed nailing me and rammed into a row of hedges seperating our lot from his bare lot. He later called the police and claimed that WE intentionally cut down his hedges and destroyed them. We ofcourse, explained the accident to the police and all was well. Not too long after that we had the Police at our door once again. This time he had called for our Brush pile (which gets picked up by town) being on HIS lot. Mind u...it was right at our mailbox. On the left side. I was told by the cop to MOVE THE BRUSH PILE TO OTHER SIDE OF DRIVEWAY. So...I did. But...what I don't understand is how this guy who...yes...owns the lot next to us...also owns the few feet my mailbox is on?!? Mailbox has been there for decades now. How is it that he can insist I not put my trash there?!? Does he own right up to the road? Because last I knew....individuals DO NOT own the land that a mailbox is placed on.

I'm extremely frustrated because I have never once had an argument or issue with this neighbor until he started calling police for every little thing. He also claimed that we are littering in his yard...but we never have. Isn't obvious that people driving by are the reason for trash in our yards?? I pick up random trash all the time in my front yard. I also have my 3 year old neice who spends alot of time here and he is a registered SEX OFFENDER. Specifically....SEX WITH A CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 7 YRS OLD!!!! He resides in a very small, dirty shack sized home diagnally behind us. his property line runs right along the hedges on side of my driveway which leads right directly outside of my one window! Which ofcourse, I keep blinds pulled down. He also claims we are loud and have parties often which could not be farther from the truth. Although we have numerous issues with this man...Im sure all my questions cant be answered here today so basically....does he have the right to tell us where we put our garbage? Does he have the right to make us move it to other side of our driveway? Again...our mailbox as well as another neighbors are right on left side of OUR driveway but in front of HIS lot. Isn't it the TOWNS property where my mailbox stands???

Also...is there anything I can do as far as keeping him a certain distance away from MY property due to his child molestation records?? I have a 3 yr old here and I'm not at all comfortable with him being able to even SEE her visually. And what about his DOG USING MY MAILBOX POLE AND FEET AROUND IT TO POTTY?? Please help!!! I'm soo upset and very angry. He could have easily come and talked to me instead of calling police for every stupid little thing he THINKS we are responsible for. And I've been on my BEST behavior with this disgusting man.

Thank you for your time and any opinion is greatly appreciated. Ofcourse any FACTS are most appreciated!!

OHRoadwarrior

I love when I get 2 bangs for my buck!!! I just used this line to assist another person a few days ago.

Explain to your neighbor, as soon as he presents a current, up to date property survey, professionally done, outlining the property markers, you will immediately move your mailbox, if it is proven to be on his property.:)

justalayman

Because last I knew....individuals DO NOT own the land that a mailbox is placed on
that varies depending on whether the road is on a right of way (easement) where the underlying land is actually owned by the adjacent landowners or the roadway is actually owned by the municipality.

Even if it is a ROW, it is likely it is legally allowed to place a mailbox within the right of way, even if it is against the adjacent landowners desires. Call your local government and ask them which situation fits your road and if the ROW (if applicable) allows for the placement of your mailbox where it is. Unless it is a state or federal highway, it is most likely only a right of way on the adjacent landowners lots.

Is there some reason you don't just move the mailbox to your lot?

If your mailbox is on his land, he can let the dog crap all around your mailbox since, after all, it is his property. If you don't want the dog to poop around your mailbox, move it to your property.

Also...is there anything I can do as far as keeping him a certain distance away from MY property due to his child molestation records?? I have a 3 yr old here and I'm not at all comfortable with him being able to even SEE her visually.
He lived there first. Why would you believe your rights exceed his? After all, he didn't move in next to you. He was already there when you moved in.

You can check with the police regarding any restrictions or limitations he has due to his sex offender status.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I am soo glad I found this website today. Where to begin? My neighbor who keep in mind...is a registered sex offender and disabled adult, lets his dog use our mailbox as his tiolet. Not only that but he claims OUR and neighbor across street from us, have our mailboxes on HIS lot. His mailbox is not anywhere near our two. We moved here over 6 years ago and him and his mother we already residents of this street. His shack of a home is kitty-corner behind us and there is a bare lot which belongs to him right to the left of us. Mailboxes are to left of our driveway..at edge of this bare lot.

Before I ask the many questions I desperately need answered, I'd like to give a brief history on our relationszhip with this man. Maybe two years ago we had a man in an SUV barely miss hitting me as I pulled into my driveway. He jussst missed nailing me and rammed into a row of hedges seperating our lot from his bare lot. He later called the police and claimed that WE intentionally cut down his hedges and destroyed them. We ofcourse, explained the accident to the police and all was well. Not too long after that we had the Police at our door once again. This time he had called for our Brush pile (which gets picked up by town) being on HIS lot. Mind u...it was right at our mailbox. On the left side. I was told by the cop to MOVE THE BRUSH PILE TO OTHER SIDE OF DRIVEWAY. So...I did. But...what I don't understand is how this guy who...yes...owns the lot next to us...also owns the few feet my mailbox is on?!? Mailbox has been there for decades now. How is it that he can insist I not put my trash there?!? Does he own right up to the road? Because last I knew....individuals DO NOT own the land that a mailbox is placed on.

I'm extremely frustrated because I have never once had an argument or issue with this neighbor until he started calling police for every little thing. He also claimed that we are littering in his yard...but we never have. Isn't obvious that people driving by are the reason for trash in our yards?? I pick up random trash all the time in my front yard. I also have my 3 year old neice who spends alot of time here and he is a registered SEX OFFENDER. Specifically....SEX WITH A CHILD UNDER THE AGE OF 7 YRS OLD!!!! He resides in a very small, dirty shack sized home diagnally behind us. his property line runs right along the hedges on side of my driveway which leads right directly outside of my one window! Which ofcourse, I keep blinds pulled down. He also claims we are loud and have parties often which could not be farther from the truth. Although we have numerous issues with this man...Im sure all my questions cant be answered here today so basically....does he have the right to tell us where we put our garbage? Does he have the right to make us move it to other side of our driveway? Again...our mailbox as well as another neighbors are right on left side of OUR driveway but in front of HIS lot. Isn't it the TOWNS property where my mailbox stands???

Also...is there anything I can do as far as keeping him a certain distance away from MY property due to his child molestation records?? I have a 3 yr old here and I'm not at all comfortable with him being able to even SEE her visually. And what about his DOG USING MY MAILBOX POLE AND FEET AROUND IT TO POTTY?? Please help!!! I'm soo upset and very angry. He could have easily come and talked to me instead of calling police for every stupid little thing he THINKS we are responsible for. And I've been on my BEST behavior with this disgusting man.

Thank you for your time and any opinion is greatly appreciated. Ofcourse any FACTS are most appreciated!!

Why on earth do you keep harping on about the sex offender status? It has absolutely NO bearing on anything at all. You don't like him living there? Move.

I'mTheFather

Not to mention, if you know there's a sexual offender next door, why do you persist in having your niece over so much if you consider a threat?

FarmerJ

My mail box is with in the township / county so called easement area for roads but that land is my nbr Janets . SO if that mail box is not on your land but on his he can let his dog _ _ _ _ your mail box post all rover wants. Your also free to have your own survey done so you know exactly where your lot lines are then explore fencing in your yard if you wish as well as speaking to the post office about your moving your mail box to your own lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">