• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Neighbor is Threatening to Kill Our Cat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckybodine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am very worried about my cat's safety. She is mostly an inside cat but she does go out occasionally, I have NEVER seen her go further than across our yard and she stops at the lawn edge.

We have a litter box in the garage which she uses but I have also seen her go in a pile of dirt in our front yard. I have seen another cat in the neighborhood who wanders way further than mine ever would.

My next door neighbor started complaining that she poops in his yard and also in his garden and that he has trapped cats before that have come into his yard. Never mentioned what he does with them. This is the third time he has lodged a complaint over the back fence and now he says she has pooped in his compost pile, therefore contaminating it, and he said, "I'm going to put things in my yard and your cat better stay out of it..." He has specifically stated that he and his wife dislike cats in general.

This neighbor has also complained abut the noise our children make when they play in the back yard, but that's a whole other issue.

How does one protect a cat? I understand he has the right not to have animals in his yard that he doesn't want there, but how can I enforce a perimeter on our cat? I have honestly never seen her anywhere but in our yard when she is out and she literally spends 90% of the time indoors. As I said, I have seen another cat wandering around but he insists it is just OUR cat that is the problem.

What can I do to protect my cat and also protect his right not to have animals in his yard that he doesn't want to be in there?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

am very worried about my cat's safety. She is mostly an inside cat but she does go out occasionally,

Obviously you are NOT worried about your cat's safety or you would keep her inside 100% of the time.

las365

When cats go outside, they roam. They do not understand property lines. Do you watch your cat the entire time she is outside? It doesn't matter whether you have seen her go outside your yard with your own two eyes.

You could get one of those "invisible" fences and hope it works. You could create a contained area in your backyard (ideally accessible through a window with a cat door in it so she can go in and out at will) that she can go into to enjoy being outside.

Your neighbor is entitled to want you to keep your cat on your property. It is up to you to protect your cat by doing so. End of story.

I have cats, too

Becky, I have cats, too (seven of them) and I can appreciate the spot you are in. My neighbors are reasonable, plus I live out in the country where there is significant space between the houses. The chief complaint about my brood was that I had a couple of birders in the bunch, so I equipped them with collars with bells on them. Here are some ideas for you:

1. Put a garden in your own yard, with nice soft dirt. If your cat is inclined to poop in gardens, she will poop there.

2. Plant catnip in the garden to entice your cat to stay there.

3. You could construct a cat run with chicken wire, but that would be confining -- but still perhaps better than Mr. Nut Job wreaking havoc on Pussums.

4. I would google some cat sites, or humane society sites, or vet sites to try to get ideas about how to entice your cat to stay in her own yard.

5. If you were to put a collar with bells on your cat, at least that should help your neighbor identify if it is indeed your cat which is causing him consternation.

6. If your neighbor is really at his wits end, he should not take matters into his own hands, but he should contact the town animal control officer. From all you have said, it may not even be your cat causing the problem.

Good luck to you. I am a cat lover, and all my 7 cats are adopted strays. One of them was a street cat for 7 years, who is now just the most loving, best boy of all. This is mostly a real estate site, and for the most part, I don't think they get it (regarding being a human companion for a cat.) My cats go out, and I know exactly what you mean about the perimeter thing. Again, good luck. And if you find something that works well, let us know, because I have seen others post here with a similar problem.

beckybodine

Thank You!

:)

That was incredibly helpful and very constructive. Really good advice :)

We have talked it over, and have decided to follow these steps:

1. Keep Sticky inside for 30 days solid, then outside but only with us supervising;

2. Cat box has been placed in garage and she has been placed in it so she knows where it is;

3. Buy cat repellent and place along the boundary between our neighbor's yard and our yard.

4. We will not engage the neighbor! He grows pot and makes us uncomfortable enough as it is.

Your post made me feel a LOT better, thank you for the time you took in posting it. Hug your kitties, just for me!

:)

legalquest44

and he's threatening you?!?

>>>4. We will not engage the neighbor! He grows pot and makes us uncomfortable enough as it is.

Why don't you just call the cops on him? Then he won't bother your cat anymore!

seniorjudge

In your first post, you said it's already IN the garage....

So... which is it? And honestly, the first response you got was the most likely to keep your cat in one piece - keep it indoors.
Becky Bodine did NOT want an accurate response...she wanted a warm and fuzzy answer.

Okay.

She'll be back here whining when kitty goes missing.

;)

FarmerJ

Becky there is nothing wrong with using a light wt LONG chain and attaching it to a harness the cat cannot get out of and having the cat chained in a shady part of the yard or near the garage where it can go for shade. If the cat doesnt like it then make sure it stays in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">