• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbors cat damaged my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

litl_lulu

California - My neighbor has several pets including 3 or so outdoor cats. One in particular comes onto our property a lot. We find paw prints on our vehicles all the time and often I pull into the driveway to see it sitting on top of my husband’s truck. About a year ago I bought him a truck cover since it is his second vehicle and sits in the driveway collecting dust.

Recently we noticed tears in the truck cover right where the cat sits. The tears progressively got worse and one late night my husband was taking out the trash and almost had a heart attack when the cat emerged through one of the tears in the truck cover.

Apparently the cat has been crawling into the truck bed, under the cover, and then clawing his way out when its ready to leave. The cover has now been torn to shreds and is unusable. It is laying beside the truck in the driveway. Incidentally, we still see the cat lying on the truck cover even though its no longer on the truck.

My husband approached the female neighbor and she said that she is aware the cat is often on our property because the previous owners of our home would feed it. She assured him that she would take care of it by replacing the cover.

Two weeks went by and my husband then approached the woman’s husband and he asked how we knew it was his cat. After explaining all of the reasons in conjunction with the conversation he had with the wife the man’s reply was that sometimes his wife is wrong about stuff. He adamantly told my husband that he would not replace the cover because the cat would just shred it again. He added that it’s an outdoor cat and to just live with it.

It seems unfair that my husband would have to sacrifice for someone else’s pet.

What legal recourse do we have?

applecruncher

OP – A very picturesque post. I’m a cat owner/lover but these people clearly need to control their cat and take responsibility for the damage. When pets destroy other people’s property, it’s the responsibility of the owner to make it right. You’ve tried to handle it nicely, and you’ve been very patient. Husband is displeased with wife for agreeing to replace the cover and he’s being unreasonable.

I agree that you should sue them in small claims court, and make it clear they need to keep their cats off your property.

xylene

Lemonade from cat pee

Recently we noticed tears in the truck cover right where the cat sits. The tears progressively got worse and one late night my husband was taking out the trash and almost had a heart attack when the cat emerged through one of the tears in the truck cover.
Video tape this and put it on youtube.

It sounds adorable.

frenchtoast

Buy some cat deterrent

Dear Neighbor

Buy some cat deterrent perhaps red pepper flakes and sprinkle them on the hood of the car and on your new car cover. I have heard that mentioned on other forums to deter unwanted animals. I would check with a local vet first to make sure that this is safe and if it would cause you to have any liability issues. I think because it is your property you might be able to do this in the future. I would also keep approaching the wife about the money for the replacement cover. She sounds more reasonable.

frenchtoast

A few other suggestions

There are some natural remedies that are being touted online. Citrus, coleus canina, herb rue. I have never tried any other these myself but again talking to a vet's office would prove very helpful for the future.

Hole9yard

I had the same problem with a neighbors cat and she told me she had no control of her cat. Another words deal with it. I did deal with it. I found the cat in my garage and I picked it up an brought it to a city kennel and paid a 25 dollars drop off fee and no more problems

sally1

I would recommend catching the cat,and taking the cat to a neighboring county shelter.

If you want to get money for the damage done you will need to get a photo of the cat in/on the car cover.You can submit that at a small claims hearing,but no guarantee the judge will award money.

I would opt for getting rid of any free range cats.Home depot traps are
$45,or you can get a loaner through local animal control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">