• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my neighbors dog attacked my dog thru the fence after trying to bite my child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

olcraig31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am not sure if i am posting in the right section, however i figure since it is a section for neighbors and boundries I figured I would give it a try.

March 6, 2012 me and my kids were outside playing. 3 of my kids were playing in the dirt and my other child was playing in the dirt with my dog near the fence line. When the neighbor let the dog out it went over to the fence and tried biting my 3 year old first and then turned to the dog and grabbed his nose through the fence and started trashing, tugging, ect... on my dogs nose. There was no reason for the dog to do this it just did. I tried talking to my neighbor about what happened. She is adoment that my child or dog did something and that her and her dog are not responsible for anything that happened and are not at fault. I contacted animal control and filied a statment about the attack. I also contacted the police. Both told me they really couldn't do anything accept issue a citation.

what are my rights consurning what happened?
can I go after her for the costs of the vet bills?
can do to make sure the dog dosn't attack/go after my kids or dog again?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I am not sure if i am posting in the right section, however i figure since it is a section for neighbors and boundries I figured I would give it a try.

March 6, 2012 me and my kids were outside playing. 3 of my kids were playing in the dirt and my other child was playing in the dirt with my dog near the fence line. When the neighbor let the dog out it went over to the fence and tried biting my 3 year old first and then turned to the dog and grabbed his nose through the fence and started trashing, tugging, ect... on my dogs nose. There was no reason for the dog to do this it just did. I tried talking to my neighbor about what happened. She is adoment that my child or dog did something and that her and her dog are not responsible for anything that happened and are not at fault. I contacted animal control and filied a statment about the attack. I also contacted the police. Both told me they really couldn't do anything accept issue a citation.

what are my rights consurning what happened?
can I go after her for the costs of the vet bills?
can do to make sure the dog dosn't attack/go after my kids or dog again?
Sue her for the vet bills and call animal control to report the vicious dog.

olcraig31

RE: Antigone

I did contact animal control. they said only a judge can deem a dog viscous and since it was not a human being attacked all i could do was fill out a statment ( which i did ) and she would be issued a citation.

One way or another she will pay for the vet bill, that not my main concern. My main concern is she dosn't care that her dog tried bitting my 3 year old and bites anything that moves. I need legal advice on how to get that dog the heck away from yard.

strongbus

1st base on what happen i am going guess you have a chain link fence or some sort of wooden fence with gaps in it.

2nd. if this is true you could somehow cover up the gaps with another fence or maybe plant rose bushes close enough to the fence on your side that if the other dog tries to stick its mouth trough then it can't reach your kids or dog.

if you do this I would suggest that you keep them trimmed so that they don't stick though the fence and cause issues with your neighbor. But I would keep them close enough so that if the dog tries to stick its head/mouth though a gab it gets a nice prick form a rose thorn after a few times it stop it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why did your dog and/or child stick their (insert body part here) through the fence?

csi7

With a chain-link fence, you can purchase plastic strips that provide privacy and protection between the links of the fence.
With a privacy fence, you can purchase boards to nail to the existing fence to cover the holes on your side of the fence.
Both of these are pro-active, and neighbor-friendly suggestions.
When dog bites are involved, the personal feelings between the neighbors last longer than the bite itself does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">