• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Neighbors watch my family on their video surveillance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brnshark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

My Neighbors spitefully put up a fence down a shared driveway, which we just had trial and are waiting on a decision from the judge. Ever since that occurrence of the fence our neighbors have put up 6 surveillance cameras all pointing in the direction of my home and property. There are no cameras on the opposite side of the house, just the west side in direction of mine.

In the previous trial we had with the fence they admitted to all their cameras on transcript and they submitted pictures with my daughter and I walking down the driveway, inside of my garage, backyard, and the side of my home.

I have several complaints with the local police department, which they say it is legal for them to have the cameras and film. I also have a complaint written by the police saying the neighbors also admitted to audio recording us. I also caught the neighbor taking a picture of me from their front window and i called the police to complain and they told me he had the right to do so.

I’m sorry but his is just not right. They are filming and watching us every second they get. They are very creepy people and I wish i had money to move. I feel violate and very concerned for my 2 children. None of the neighbors kids are allowed to go there trick or treating or by their house at all. The home consist of two elder couple in their 60's and their 40 year old son that all live there together. Reminds me of the Klopec from the movie the burbs.

Any how I need to know my rights on surveillance and camera's this just doesn’t seem right that they can have ADT come in and install all these cameras to watch us. Is there something I can do, Please help?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

First use the links up top even if you have to pay for a consult what you want to learn is what your states laws are regarding images captured of minor children, about images recorded from somewhere outside that capture what ever is going on the inside of your home. Same with the audio. ask about stalking laws. Once you have that information as well as gathering up copies of police reports if the atty tells you that you have enough to do so , go see your city, county atty armed with copies of the law and your reports and the attys opinion and insist that they take action , if they wont then go over and above them to your states atty general offices.

Mass_Shyster

720 ILCS 5/ Criminal Code of 1961..

(720 ILCS 5/26‑4) (from Ch. 38, par. 26‑4)
Sec. 26‑4. Unauthorized video recording and live video transmission.
(a) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly make a video record or transmit live video of another person without that person's consent in a restroom, tanning bed, tanning salon, locker room, changing room, or hotel bedroom.
(a‑5) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly make a video record or transmit live video of another person in that other person's residence without that person's consent.
(a‑6) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly make a video record or transmit live video of another person in that other person's residence without that person's consent when the recording or transmission is made outside that person's residence by use of an audio or video device that records or transmits from a remote location.
IL is also a two-party state when if comes to autio recording. All parties must consent.

Yopu may need to get a transcript of the hearing where they admitted, under oath, that they had video taped your residence.

I agree with farmerj that you should contact an attorney. I would file a complain with the police and file for a restraining order enjoining them from recording your home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">