• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My New Fence Neighbor is destroying with her irrigation system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scubadiv3r

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I purchased a home late last year and put up a new fence to replace the rotten one in late november. The new $3500 fence between me and my neighbor is 6"-11" (angled property line) into my property so I didn't have any issues with her doing anything to it. However, her ground well irrigation system sprays onto several parts of my fence, some as much as 4' up, and is destroying it. Not only is there discoloration, but several board have started to crack and some are completely falling apart. She has said she would adjust them slightly, but since she has plants near the fence, it getting wet is innevitable.

What can I do? Also, looking into city records (City of Orlando) she did not get a permit to have theground well put in, can I do something about that as well?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I purchased a home late last year and put up a new fence to replace the rotten one in late november. The new $3500 fence between me and my neighbor is 6"-11" (angled property line) into my property so I didn't have any issues with her doing anything to it. However, her ground well irrigation system sprays onto several parts of my fence, some as much as 4' up, and is destroying it. Not only is there discoloration, but several board have started to crack and some are completely falling apart. She has said she would adjust them slightly, but since she has plants near the fence, it getting wet is innevitable.

What can I do? Also, looking into city records (City of Orlando) she did not get a permit to have theground well put in, can I do something about that as well?
Who do you intend to sue when the gods send the terrential rains on your fence:rolleyes:

scubadiv3r

Who do you intend to sue when the gods send the terrential rains on your fence:rolleyes:
I spent $3500 on my fence to get Cypress (a plant that grows in the water and performs beest in wet states) which in the state of Florida lasts the longest (20-25 years on average). But after a few months of her daily watering of them... The point being that the rest of the fence is perfect, only where she waters it is there an issue.

Banned_Princess

I spent $3500 on my fence to get Cypress (a plant that grows in the water and performs beest in wet states) which in the state of Florida lasts the longest (20-25 years on average). But after a few months of her daily watering of them... The point being that the rest of the fence is perfect, only where she waters it is there an issue.
There is nothing you can do to stop the neighbor from watering her plants on her property, hitting the side of the fence thats hers.

Too bad.

Should have gotten vinyl.

scubadiv3r

It is excessive, and it doesn't make sense that there is nothing I can do when she is damaging MY property by overspraying onto my side of the property line. :( And vinyl wouldn't last 10 years here in Florida.

justalayman

There is nothing you can do to stop the neighbor from watering her plants on her property, hitting the side of the fence thats hers.

l.
I've got to disagree with ya BP. If the neighbor did something to this guys fence that caused him damage, she would be liable. It is not her fence. She doesn't have a side. As well, the fence is clearly within the confines of the OP's property.

With that said, I do not believe her watering the plants and the incidental spray on the fence would be considered to be an action that would damage a fence if the fence was designed to be exposed to the typical weather of the area. As such, he still doesn't have a claim.

Now, if she was using the fence for a backstop for her pistol range, obviously she would be liable for any damage caused by any stray bullets.

I think scubadiv3r needs to speak with his fence supplier about the issue, not the neighbor. A fence should not be adversely affected by water in well under a year.

You did apply a water repellent/sealer to the fence, right?

Antigone*

I realize that and my point is that you chose a material that should withstand water. The water hitting the fence is not the problem. Just hit the nail on the head, the problem may be with the fence.

Do you have a warranty on the fence?

csi7

There are local ordinances about the quality of water in irrigation systems, so contact your environmental health section of the Health Department to have her water content and condition checked.

We had a cypress fence put in and had it removed a couple years later with chain link put in instead due to the same issues you mention. Vinyl requires maintenance to keep the appearance fresh.

Cedrus

Suggest to the neighbor you will pick up 1/2 of the cost to convert the area that concerns you, from sprinkler head(s) to drip irrigation.

It may not be possible. But ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">