• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My new next door neighbor is making things very difficult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ObliqueOne1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

This guy bought the house next to me and will be building an addition only 7 feet from our common wall (and no one, not even the city can tell me if it is common and exactly how much he owns, I own, or if just one of us own it) I should mention I bought this house for space and no one else in the cul de sac has a neighbor so close to the common wall.

Anyway, he has already lied to me about having a permit to build up the common wall and I found this out by calling the city. Now he has this caution tape on (what I am pretty sure is) my property running right through the bush. He will not tell me why it's there and the city inspector has not returned my call. I have called him on his permit lie and told him to leave that bush alone as it's on my property except to cut a few inches off anything that would overhang his property. IOW, I do not trust him at all and have not decided whether to report him to code enforcement about the wall or not. BTW, if it's truly common he needed my signature on this form but he did this without even telling me he was building it up.

I've sent him emails which have gone unanswered. Is it time for me to just hire my own surveyor (expensive and not working) and, if so, should I notify him that I am doing so in order to see if he'll start communicating or at least explain what is going on? It could also slow down his construction (if he is building his driveway on my property if he knows I am having it surveyed myself?) Or should I say nothing as he's said nothing to me? Thanks in advance.

Oh, one more point. I have a paper trail (emails and dates) proving he lied to me.

Last edited:

ObliqueOne1

Thanks, all. I don't mind the sig lines, just wondering if I had come off as condescending as I was not meaning to.

Well, I have an informal little inspection this afternoon. Truth be told, I've prepared a list of questions as I don't even want to go outside with the inspector because of all the workers there. This whole this is not pleasant, to say the least. After this licensed guy is done, I'll be able to tell if I need an entire survey done and what my next steps should be. I am finding all of this to be rather draining. Oh, meant to say surveyor, not inspector.

sally1

You could do a boundary survey just for that side.It is cheaper than a regular property survey of the whole property.

Most people who do work on their property will submit a survey with the permit request.

Those who build without a permit usually do a survey,because common sense says you should know you are building on yuor property.

And then there are those that just build and if they encroach they say," Oh well tough luck for you! Try and make me move it!"

A survey is worth the expense if you are concerned about an encroachment,because it will be hard to get a neighbor to move something once it is built.If a survey shows they are building on your property you need to stop them before they finish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">