• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Parent's Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rolandofgilead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My parents have some neighbors who have situated two large bbq pits on the corner of their yard, right next to the wooden fence that separates the two properties, their's and my parents. The problem is my parents bedroom is about ten feet away from the bbq pits, since the fence and the corner of my parents house are situated close together. Every weekend the neighbors put on the pits and have parties and all the smoke floats over to my parents bedroom which then starts to smell like smoke soon after. My parents do not have central air and heat, only a window unit on their bedroom, and so when that smoke starts hitting the walls around my parents bedroom, the room quickly starts to smell like smoke. This happens every weekend. Is there anything my parents can do about this?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

My parents have some neighbors who have situated two large bbq pits on the corner of their yard, right next to the wooden fence that separates the two properties, their's and my parents. The problem is my parents bedroom is about ten feet away from the bbq pits, since the fence and the corner of my parents house are situated close together. Every weekend the neighbors put on the pits and have parties and all the smoke floats over to my parents bedroom which then starts to smell like smoke soon after. My parents do not have central air and heat, only a window unit on their bedroom, and so when that smoke starts hitting the walls around my parents bedroom, the room quickly starts to smell like smoke. This happens every weekend. Is there anything my parents can do about this?
move. rent out the house, and live elsewhere.

get central heat and ac.

move their bedroom.

talk to the neighbors.

the neighbors have the right to bbq on their property. theres nothing you can legally do to stop them.

mitchelt

Do your parents live in a Covenant Controlled Neighborhood? If so, I am sure there is a clause that has to do with Nuisances that would cover this.

But before I did that, I would politely explain to the neighbors that all the smoke is bothering and ask if they can move the grills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">