• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Tree On Neighbors Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llvis27

What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

My neighbor approached me and told me that the branches from a pine tree that is on my property are hanging over onto her property. She asked me to cut the branches because she doesn't like them and they do get a bit messy with falling pinecones. I told her that since the branches were on on her side of the property she has my permission to trim them back to the property line. I even offered to pay half of the cost. She refused and has threatened to call the Township and to sue me for the cost of having them removed. Please tell me my rights and recourse on this matter.

Thanks for your time!!!

divgradcurl

llvis27 said:
What is the name of your state? NEW JERSEY

My neighbor approached me and told me that the branches from a pine tree that is on my property are hanging over onto her property. She asked me to cut the branches because she doesn't like them and they do get a bit messy with falling pinecones. I told her that since the branches were on on her side of the property she has my permission to trim them back to the property line. I even offered to pay half of the cost. She refused and has threatened to call the Township and to sue me for the cost of having them removed. Please tell me my rights and recourse on this matter.

Thanks for your time!!!
Barring some oddball local ordinance ot the comtrary, she has the right to remove any branches that hang over onto her property, as long as she does not kill the tree in the process. You do not have any responsibility to pay for the trimming.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">