• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My tree over neighbor's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S.Ulrikh

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

My house is located in NY State. A large tree on my property has spread its branches over my neighbour's house. My questions:

1. Should the neigbour's house be damaged by a falling branch, will I be financially responsible?

2. Does homeowner's insurance usually cover this type of damage to a neighbour's house?

3. Should I pay the full cost of trimming the tree, or split the cost with the neighbor?

4. If a company I hire for trimming the tree somehow damages the neighbour's property in the course of work, am I financially responsible?

Thank you,
S.Ulrikh

ralph31

S.Ulrikh said:

My house is located in NY State. A large tree on my property has spread its branches over my neighbour's house. My questions:

1. Should the neighbour's house be damaged by a falling branch, will I be financially responsible?

2. Does home-owner's insurance usually cover this type of damage to a neighbour's house?

3. Should I pay the full cost of trimming the tree, or split the cost with the neighbor?

4. If a company I hire for trimming the tree somehow damages the neighbour's property in the course of work, am I financially responsible?

Thank you,
S.Ulrikh
My answer is based on what I have read here in a general way, or not NY specific.

1. No, unless you knew, and he knew before hand that the tree was unsafe and subject to falling. This comment is based more on the tree falling, not a
branch falling onto the neighbor's property.

2. In my case in TN a neighbor's trees fell onto fence and home causing severe damage. My home-owner's paid for my property damages [no tree removal from my land, only from atop my fence and home. I was responsible for damages to my property.

3. It is my understanding that you are not responsible for trimming the branches over neighbor's property, and he has the right to have them trimmed at his expense as long as it does not kill your tree.

4. I hope someone else would answer this question and comment on any answer that I have attempted. I have read warnings here that anyone hiring someone for the type of work you suggest here, that you should assure yourself that they have insurance for damages that they might bring about.

seniorjudge

S.Ulrikh said:

1. Should the neigbour's house be damaged by a falling branch, will I be financially responsible?

2. Does homeowner's insurance usually cover this type of damage to a neighbour's house?

Thank you,
S.Ulrikh

We can't answer hypothetical questions.

ralph31

"We can't answer hypothetical questions."

Is that your rule, or the forum's rule?

If it is your rule, then kindly don't try and speak for me. If it is the forum's rule, where might I find the policies of the forum outlined?

BelizeBreeze

ralph31 said:

If it is your rule, then kindly don't try and speak for me. If it is the forum's rule, where might I find the policies of the forum outlined?
And if you don't know New York law then keep quiet.

get the POINT?

HomeGuru

ralph31 said:

**A: that's the forums rule and I'm the forum leader.

If it is your rule, then kindly don't try and speak for me.

**A: he can't speak for you anyway as he does not know pig latin.

If it is the forum's rule, where might I find the policies of the forum outlined?
**A: why should we help you with that attitude?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">