• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My tree or their tree?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CWD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

What determines the ownership of a tree that sits dead center of a property line?

I would like to remove the tree and will discuss with adjoining owner before doing so. However, I would like to know before our meeting how ownership is determined. We both hate this huge, nasty, old tree so I don't expect a challenge. Just want to know in case there might be some hidden desire to keep it!

drewguy

Shared ownership and shared responsibility.

Let's hope you can get agreement. If not you can trim the branches on your side up to the property line, so long as doing so doesn't kill the tree.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

What determines the ownership of a tree that sits dead center of a property line?

I would like to remove the tree and will discuss with adjoining owner before doing so. However, I would like to know before our meeting how ownership is determined. We both hate this huge, nasty, old tree so I don't expect a challenge. Just want to know in case there might be some hidden desire to keep it!
**A: since the tree is stradled, it belongs to both property owners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">