• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nasty creepy neighbor harrassing me and baiting cat to trap on his prop.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pouletchalet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIF

I have had a long standing conflict with a nasty neighbor who recently moved into our pet friendly rural neighborhood and has been making misery for all of us with constant complaints about our pets ever since. I have since moved to a new home ( He harrassed me to no end and creeped me out so I took my pets and left) but still own and am renovating the old home. All of the sources of irritation have been removed..except

Now I had one cat left; an outdoor rescue that I can't seem to lure in and get off the property since I am renovating the home and there is noise and strangers coming and going. I have food and water as he always had and the cat door is always there and I come up twice a week to work and look for him. I put out treats and traps to no avail. The contractors seem to have scared him off but something seems to still be eating the cat food. Turns out not my little rescue cat! The neighbor regularly throws his leftovers out on his deck so naturally the cat scampered up there to get away from the construction noise so the neighbor took the cat to the pound and claimed it was his cat that he was surrendering. I know he did this just to get one last jab at me. All of this time I think someone elses black cat was eating the food along with all the skunks and raccoons that come for the daily ration of rotton food from the neighbor.

THEN to harass me further 2 weeks later he calls animal control and tells them to call me to remove my cat from his property. There are no cats on his property (since he already took it to the pound) and I don't think I can tresspass to remove anybody elses cats there anyway. I know he did this again to harrass me and appease his psychotic urges.

IS This legal?

He has also come on my driveway which has an easement to my other neighbors driveway and gloats and harrases me while I work. In the past he would come down all sauced up just to shoot the breeze to my disgust.
Is this legal? I have called the sherrif and they won't do anything. they say its free speech and he can stand on my drive. I say it's trespassing, harassment and I am going to shoot him with a paintball gun next time. I am a single woman and have no problem shooting this creep off my driveway. I've had enough! Is this legal?

Help!!
Calif(only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pouletchalet

Well I think that is a valid consideration but to make a long story short, he is married and I am divorced and not interested. He might have wanted to flirt and shoot the breeze in the beginning but then I do a wildlife rescue and he did not like the noise of my patients even though we live in the country on acreage. Duh everyone has animals here. So it gave him a excuse to become an angry jerk about it. He never acted up around the wife until the end. It's because he can't get the response that he wants- for me to cower in his presence. Whatever. I need a lawyer to help me write a Cease and desist letter. Anyone out that can help there?

tranquility

Write a cease and desist letter? Or, what? I'm not sure trapping "stray" animals or "feral" animals is illegal when done on one's own property. And, while the neighbor already knows who's cat it is, once you send the letter, you will be admitting ownership of the cat.

If the letter gets really cease and desist-y, be ready for a lawsuit against you for nuisance.

Handcoc

OP should read up on trespassing laws...retrieving you pet, ball, Frisbee, etc is not a violation normally.

What if your 1 yr old crawls onto his grass you have to say "well, it was good knowing you Horatio..alas, I cannot cross the property line !"

tranquility

Are you suggesting this neighbor has a cause of action or would do it to be one?
Both. If this is a,
long standing conflict
where
a nasty neighbor
has
constant complaints about our pets
because
an outdoor rescue that I can't seem to lure in and get off the property
(aka "feral cat") is going into the neighbor's yard--where he was trapped, it could very well be a nuisance. Damages? Not that much (making the neighbor a nuisance), but if the OP wants to get all legal-like, the neighbor has the right to do so as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">