• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to build legal protection - Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lotusbud Girl

What is the name of your state?Good 'Ole Maine

I live on a private road - let's call it "My Rd." I must travel over a short section of another private road to get to “My Rd” - let's call that one "Their Rd”.

The seller said that everyone who buys a house on either road must join the Road Association and pay the annual dues. I asked the seller if the dues covered the repairs and maintenance of both My Rd. AND Their Rd. Seller clearly acknowledged in front of both brokers and my family that yes, both roads were maintained with that annual fee.

We bought the house and signed the contract based upon:

(A) Seller's statement that both roads were maintained, AND

(B) Seller's statement that everyone who buys a house on either road must sign the contract - that it was "the law".

The contract specifies "Their Road and My Road Associations" on it. (Sellers told me at closing that the 's' at the end of Associations was a typo and I crossed it out and initialed it.)

Months after buying the house, I unpleasantly discovered that the annual dues only cover repairs and maintenance to "Their Rd" and NOT "My Rd".

I discovered that none of my neighbors have signed this agreement. Even people who purchased homes after I did were not enforced to sign the agreement that I was told "everyone had to sign".

I would NOT have signed if I was told the truth, and I would of seriously considered not buying the house if they tried to coerce me into signing under the truthful terms.

Since the road association contract was presented under false pretenses, can it be considered null and void? How?

Since other neighbors didn't have to sign, have I been discriminated against?

There are witnesses to the seller’s lies. Should I obtain written statements from them?

What steps should I take to document and protect myself from this contract?

Should I take legal action against the seller? If so, what type of legal action? I have only 'lost' 1 year's worth of dues money thus far, but do not wish to pay the full amount in the future. (The current board doesn't care about my predicament, by neighborhood reputation they are as crooked as the seller.)

Please help me by answering this. Thank you.
:cool:

you should read agreements clearly before signing anything. now its basically your word against their word, and their word is backed up with a written document signed by you. good luck, but in the future, read before you sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">