• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neigbor tresspass (caught on surveilance)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngryDogMan14

New York City
Neighbor Tresspassing and leaving dog to run free.

Background - My neigbor and I have had a few "disagreements" before but generaly, we get along fairly well. Good mornings, hows the family and all the usual talk. From talks with him i've come to know that he hates nature, animals, and plants. He especialy hated when I got a dog last year, and it has been the source of afew disagrements (only barking when I first got it last year).

The dog doesnt bark very often anymore, but today I had to leave early for an emergency and left him tied up in my shed. When I came home I found him untied in waiting at my front gate, which he can jump over and does so once and a while. When I saw this I though he might have broken his chain or it might have come off by mistake but when I checked on it I noticed that the mountain climing clip securing the chain to his collar was taken off. I thought it was wierd and unlikley that it came off like that so I checked my camera.

The video showed my neighbor come onto my property, go into my shed, leave the door open and leave. Then the video showed my dog wander out of the shed.

What should I do. The video doesnt show him taking of the clip tied to the metal chain but it is extremley likely that he did it so the dog could get away. He knows the dog is pretty well trained and harmless, but he has seen him jump over the fence a few times before so he knows he can do it. Would the video be enough to press any sort of charges, or is tresspassing the only thing I could get him on.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Did you call the police yet ? One way you might handle this is to make a copy of the video that shows him entering your property , entering your shed then leaving and then include a letter that tells him that this is his formal notice to never enter your property again. Send it via registered return receipt mail

AngryDogMan14

No I haven't called the police or anything yet. Since we are usualy on decent relations (Not bad but not good either) I don't want to realy do anything that might make the situation extremley tense and probably worse.

If the only thing that I can pursue is somthing for tresspassing then i'd rather not do anything at all, esspecialy because in NYC that would get completly ignored unless he stole somthing or broke somthing. If a more serious charge can be brough up, somthing that might make sacre him into not doing somthing like that again, then I would confront him and follow your advice. I probably wouldnt press charges but somthing that would actualy stick would might make him a little more hessitant.

But like I said if its somthing non starter then it would probably make the situation worse and might prompt him to do it again or so somthing else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was there food in the shed? Water? Was the dog crying/barking excessively (leading your neighbor to possibly believe he was injured)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Was there food in the shed? Water? Was the dog crying/barking excessively (leading your neighbor to possibly believe he was injured)?
In addition how warm was it in the shed? Does the shed have a thermometer? Does it have air conditioning or ventilation? You could report it but you might find yourself in trouble for animal abuse if the dog was locked in a shed that did not have proper ventilation and was too hot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">