• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neigbors workers using my yard to do construction on their house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My neigbor has been repeatedly using the backyard of my rental property to access their house to work on it. This is a rental property so I am not around all the time. I see their workers all over the place. This has been going on for several months. The neigbor is arrogant and does not want to talk. The workers are insolent and disrespectful. The police in San Jose will not attend and say it is a civil matter. what is my recourse?

Gail in Georgia

Have your tenants (if you have tenants) call the police saying they believe someone is trespassing on the property they are renting?

Seriously, you need to determine how bad the situation really is. Are they simply walking across your back yard to get to the construction site? Are they doing any damage to your property? Or is it that you're pissed off because your neighbor is arrogant and you perceive these workers as insolent to you.

Is putting up a fence as a barrier worth the time and cost to you?

Gail

Have your tenants (if you have tenants) call the police saying they believe someone is trespassing on the property they are renting?

Seriously, you need to determine how bad the situation really is. Are they simply walking across your back yard to get to the construction site? Are they doing any damage to your property? Or is it that you're pissed off because your neighbor is arrogant and you perceive these workers as insolent to you.

Is putting up a fence as a barrier worth the time and cost to you?

Gail
They are creating dangerous conditions in there. I would definitely find value in putting up the fence except that I'll just find them taking it down.
My question basically is - are they required by law to seek written permission to access my property to do their work and that at stipulated hours or is it their free will to roam the land when they wish?

Gail in Georgia

"or is it free will to roam the land as they wish"...

Of course not. However, if the police won't get involved citing that this is a civil matter, you're not going to get backing from them.

Again, if they have damaged your property, consider going the civil route with your neighbor.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">