+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FarmerJ
  • 2 Post By FlyingRon

Thread: Neighbor accidentally drills well onto my property damaging septic system in process.

agradywills is offline Junior Member

Neighbor accidentally drills well onto my property damaging septic system in process.

A neighbor drills a well on my property by accident and damages my septic system in the process. What recourse do I have (what law enforcement agency, what type of law governs this situation, who has jurisdiction (local, state, federal), who is liable if septic leaks into nearby stream?
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by agradywills View Post
    A neighbor drills a well on my property by accident and damages my septic system in the process. What recourse do I have (what law enforcement agency, what type of law governs this situation, who has jurisdiction (local, state, federal), who is liable if septic leaks into nearby stream?
    Your recourse is to sue your neighbor for the damage done to your septic system. While its possible that some regulatory agencies might be involved and might have issues with this, your issue is that your neighbor damaged your septic system and your recourse is to sue your neighbor for that.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    apparently somebody doesn't know where the property lines are. Who has a survey of their property to be able to determine where the lines are?

If nobody, how do you know your septic system isn't on their property.

as far as damaging your septic system; what, specifically, did he damage?

and unless this somehow gets into something that would run into the stream, the only law enforcement you should need is the civil court.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Very curious here, Yes of course surveys would show where the lot lines are but a even bigger question is was the well drilled by a company or just the land owner doing it them self ? reason I ask if it was a well drilling company is because if there was something as obvious as septic pipes in the ground that stuck out ? Id love to know why a well driller would have continued to drill with out learning for sure just how far the well would have been from a neighboring septic ? in my state well and septics must be min of 100 ft apart. BTW what state are you in ???????? and as far as leakage Id be more worried about the damage to your septic system causing ground water in your area to be polluted since you and others in your area are drinking from same aquifer !! its likely going to take longer for sewage leaks to get into river, creek, other watershed than it would for a leak to screw up drinking water.
    bdancer likes this.
    xylene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post

and unless this somehow gets into something that would run into the stream, the only law enforcement you should need is the civil court.
    Since the OP did not name their state, I have no idea how you can suggest the this is not a matter for law enforcement.

If this were in NY the DEC would certainly be involved, and although we are 'blue' state I am sure others would have similar penalties. (Utah comes to mind)
    agradywills is offline Junior Member
    These are questions for a class I'm taking.
    FlyingRon is offline Senior Member
    In that case, the answer is that you should pick up the phone, dial 911 and tell them that your neighbor is attempting to kill you and that you want him arrested for murder.
    Then you run down to the court house and file an immediate motion for execution and possession against him to seize his assets and have him beheaded.
    justalayman and TheGeekess like this.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xylene View Post
    Since the OP did not name their state, I have no idea how you can suggest the this is not a matter for law enforcement.

If this were in NY the DEC would certainly be involved, and although we are 'blue' state I am sure others would have similar penalties. (Utah comes to mind)

because there is almost nothing to suggest there was anything criminal involved. Yes, in a broad coloring of things, there could be a criminal issue but it is unlikely.
    TheGeekess is offline Senior Member
    We don't do homework.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    Or, you should do your own homework.