• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor afraid of dogs; filing false complaints

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tuffbrk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Adopted dog from shelter in our town 6 mos ago. Behavior tested and is good with other animals and children. Now that the weather is warmer, our neighbor's mother sits outside on the 2nd fl balconey. 3 wks ago, the neighbor said to my son when he was in the yard with dog, can you have your dog not bark when we come outside. My mother is afraid of dogs. She was sitting on the balconey. My son said well, he's a dog. It's how he says hello when he hears someone come out. 2 wks ago I received a letter from the township that a complaint had been filed that our dog was running around the neighborhood off leash. Tuesday, I received a letter from the board of health that our neighbor filed a complaint that we are throwing feces over the fence. At that point I called the township. Lo and behold the shelter director receives my call, remembers our dog, etc. Says she will speak with them today in an attempt to stop the false allegations.

11:30 this morning, my fiance and son get home from the vet, my son trips and falls at the base of our front steps. The leash didn't leave his hand, he gets up, goes in the house and says thank heaven the dog didn't bark because the neighbor's mom was outside in their front yard. 8:00 tonight the police park and go next door, then came to our house to take a statement (my fiance works 3-11; I was at a meeting) from my son as the neighbor filed a complaint that our dog tried to attack her. My son provided my fiance's name and number as the dog owner. Then he outlined the trip and fall, showed the leash, said he was shelter tested, etc. The cop says-come on, tell me the truth. My son advises he is telling the truth, points out that our dog is laying on his blanket chewing a bone, that the dog did not step foot off of our property. Cop says he is just taking statements and that animal control would be by for a visit.

Clearly these people are trying to cause problems due to the mother's fear of dogs. There is no action that can be taken against us as he has done nothing wrong and certainly I'm not throwing feces over the fence. If this nonsense continues, can I file a complaint for them filing false reports? Harrassment? Anything that would make them think twice before filing another false complaint? Any suggestions for managing this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

csi7

Is there any other neighbor who could be throwing feces over the fence in the neighbor's yard? Having the letter, did the person go to the yard, take pictures of the feces?

I took pictures of our dog's feces and the usual action we take with the feces removal. That took care of one issue politely with the inspector and letter.

Discovered, by chance, who the person was that was throwing feces over the fence. Took a picture, and then shared it with the inspector. End of problem.

However, to improve the communication with the neighbor's fear of dogs, I'd ask the shelter director for a visit with the pooch in a public place and some help with an individual trained to handle, manage, and promote a positive reaction, if possible.

NC Aggie

Wow, I find it hard to believe that a person (your neighbor) would have such a vendetta against dogs that they would harass you and your family as you described. Either you've given us half truths, there's more to the story, or you have one very disturbed and paranoid neighbor. In all honesty, if your neighbor files complaints with the Township or Police, it's up to the neighbor to prove it. My best advice to you is ignore your neighbor and don't engage them. If you continue to get visits or inquiries from the local township or police, I would advise them that unless the neighbor has provided them with evidence to support their claim, please refrain from contacting me because their accusations are unwarranted and if continued would be viewed as harrassment. And eventually, the township and police would start ignoring her complaints unless she did provide evidence. Now, if you or your family are guilty at all of any of the claims the neighbor has leveled against you, I think it would be wise to get your ship in order as well.

LdiJ

Wow, I find it hard to believe that a person (your neighbor) would have such a vendetta against dogs that they would harass you and your family as you described. Either you've given us half truths, there's more to the story, or you have one very disturbed and paranoid neighbor. In all honesty, if your neighbor files complaints with the Township or Police, it's up to the neighbor to prove it. My best advice to you is ignore your neighbor and don't engage them. If you continue to get visits or inquiries from the local township or police, I would advise them that unless the neighbor has provided them with evidence to support their claim, please refrain from contacting me because their accusations are unwarranted and if continued would be viewed as harrassment. And eventually, the township and police would start ignoring her complaints unless she did provide evidence. Now, if you or your family are guilty at all of any of the claims the neighbor has leveled against you, I think it would be wise to get your ship in order as well.
It doesn't surprise me at all. I have seen it happen myself, several times, out in the real world. People who seriously do not like dogs don't want their neighbors owning dogs either and will often go to great lengths to encourage people to get rid of their dogs.

Silverplum

It doesn't surprise me at all. I have seen it happen myself, several times, out in the real world. People who seriously do not like dogs don't want their neighbors owning dogs either and will often go to great lengths to encourage people to get rid of their dogs.
I agree, from experience. Obnoxious non-dog-lovers.

I don't care for cats or teenagers: I don't make it my business to rid my neighborhood of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">