• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor blocking right of access to property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

riaudicab

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI

I have a neighbor, G.O., who has blocked access to the waterfront from our house by a wooden fence with a gate and key. Our properties are adjacent but his is on the waterfront and mine is next in line.

My Warranty Deed states at the bottom of the deed, after the description of our property:

Subject to real estate taxes assessed Dec. 21, 2000; easements and restrictions of record, if any; and rights of access to land now or formerly of G.O. lying northeasterly of conveyed premises.

The land of G.O. northeasterly of my conveyed premises is where the access to the waterfront would be. As far as I can tell, I have access through his property to the waterfront. Does this seem reasonable ? I plan to be contacting a property lawyer.

This was never an issue until we are now selling, so I guess it gives the next owner access through his property as well. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:

efflandt

I am a little unclear whether that gives G.O. or successors rights to use your property to access their property. In order for you to use G.O.'s property there would have to be an easement or something recorded for G.O.'s property giving you the right to use it. What is on your deed would not give you any rights to use G.O.'s property.

I am not an expert, just someone who has experienced easement issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">