• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor builds carpentry projects all day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I have a neighbor who is outside all day, every day (unless it's raining or snowing) using circular saws, band saws, drills, etc. to build various projects made out of wood. I checked my town's ordinances and it says it's ok for anyone to use a saw between the hours of 8am and 9pm, but I would imagine this is in place so contractors can do work on houses without neighbors complaining, but I wouldn't think it would apply to someone who is doing this every single day. It wasn't stated so I don't know. He sometimes starts working earlier than 8am. I work from home on certain days and I have the type of job where I have to read, think, attend meetings by phone and the constant sawing is a disturbance. I imagine calling the police is pointless since the law says it's ok for someone to make this type of noise, plus I don't want to be that type of neighbor anyway. I just think it's excessive and if he wants to build, he should rent out a place to do that and shouldn't be doing it in a residential neighborhood on a daily basis. Just looking for some advice.

Proserpina

I have a neighbor who is outside all day, every day (unless it's raining or snowing) using circular saws, band saws, drills, etc. to build various projects made out of wood. I checked my town's ordinances and it says it's ok for anyone to use a saw between the hours of 8am and 9pm, but I would imagine this is in place so contractors can do work on houses without neighbors complaining, but I wouldn't think it would apply to someone who is doing this every single day. It wasn't stated so I don't know. He sometimes starts working earlier than 8am. I work from home on certain days and I have the type of job where I have to read, think, attend meetings by phone and the constant sawing is a disturbance. I imagine calling the police is pointless since the law says it's ok for someone to make this type of noise, plus I don't want to be that type of neighbor anyway. I just think it's excessive and if he wants to build, he should rent out a place to do that and shouldn't be doing it in a residential neighborhood on a daily basis. Just looking for some advice.

I'm not sure what we can tell you - you've said yourself that the law favors him.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

White noise machine or headphones. :cool:

154NH773

If it is a job or business, check into local laws governing those activities in residential neighborhoods. Check sound levels and see if they exceed any law or ordinance. Talk to the neighbor to see if he could mitigate the noise. As a last resort, speak to a local lawyer about a civil remedy.

Antigone*

Invest in a good set of ear plugs or move.

CGA

154NH773
If it is a job or business, check into local laws governing those activities in residential neighborhoods. Check sound levels and see if they exceed any law or ordinance. Talk to the neighbor to see if he could mitigate the noise. As a last resort, speak to a local lawyer about a civil remedy.
Thanks, 154NH773. That's the type of advice I was looking for. I don't know if this person is running a business or if this is a hobby. He doesn't seem to have a job outside the home so I'm guessing it's a business. I will look into it further.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks, 154NH773. That's the type of advice I was looking for. I don't know if this person is running a business or if this is a hobby. He doesn't seem to have a job outside the home so I'm guessing it's a business. I will look into it further.
You have received valid advice from EVERY responder in this thread. A thanks is indicated for all...

154NH773

You have received valid advice from EVERY responder in this thread. A thanks is indicated for all...
I disagree. Valid? Maybe, but not helpful responses from the "Seniors".

I'm not sure what we can tell you - you've said yourself that the law favors him.
No, not helpful.

White noise machine or headphones.
No, not helpful.

Invest in a good set of ear plugs or move.
No, not helpful.

Mass_Shyster

I checked my town's ordinances and it says it's ok for anyone to use a saw between the hours of 8am and 9pm
Does the ordinance permit use of a saw between 8am and 9pm, or does it prohibit use of a saw between 9pm and 8am?

If the latter, you may have a cause of action for nuisance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">