• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor burning

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

corgie85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I have a neighbor who constantly burns all kinds old junk and the smoke blows over into my house for days. I have Emphysema and COPD and the smoke cause me great distress. About three years ago he was burning plastic tarps roofing etc and the air was putrid for days. I called the health board and they told him to stop burning the things he was burning. It stopped for a while and he's been up to it again. for the last week he's been burning and a month ago county deputy found him burning furniture that was blowing on my property. Nothing done. Today after my grandson was here we both had our lungs throat and eyes burning for over 24 hours of his burning.He has been burning off and on for over a week. I called the county sheriff who sent out a deputy. The deputy upon getting here jumped down my throat as if I was in the wrong, went over to the burner and reported nothing illegal back to the county. The deputy said there wasn't anything he could do only zoning. I thought illegal burning was against the law and he could make them put it out but they said I have to contend with this until I can find some way to resolve it. Last year I called the same county about telephone poles and treated lumber being burnt in my neighborhood and they sent out the fire dept to put it out.
Since this guy is a contractor who brings his scrap home and burns it to keep from paying a garbage man dumpster he's burning all the time. There's so much burning that even inside you can't escape it because it permeates after so much smoke over a week.

corgie85

Thanks I did look that up and found some other things in my research. Biggest problem is getting someone to actually do anything. People who have been appointed government jobs in Illinois want to sit on their duffs and collect a check without being bothered. Sad this is real common here But I will persue it and welcome any other suggestions.

justalayman

everybody in Illinois government ignores the laws? That is a pretty serious and untrue statement.

You were given information that states, without a doubt, that what the neighbor is doing is illegal. You can either utilize that information to keep contacting agencies to have the law enforced or you can sit in your house and choke on the smoke. You might have to file a suit against the neighbor if you can't get any police agency to act.

corgie85

called county health and they are going to investigate. She said if it was a nuisance and caused a health problem the deputy should have had it extinguished. thanks

We'll see what happens from here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">