• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor cat issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jslopez

I live in California. We have an issue with our neighbors since they are feeding about 20 feral cats. The cat defecate all over our property, including the driveway, front and back yard, and roof. The house inspector stated that the feces is damaging our roof. We contacted all city contacts, including animal control, and no one is able to do anything. They say that it is because they are short staffed. We have tried to resolve it calmly with the neighbor but they were not able to manage this colony. So animal control said to trap the cats and take them to the shelter. I let the neighbors know we will be doing this because we are worried about the sanitary issue with the cat feces (they look ill, are not vaccinated, and are not sterilized). We worry about our baby getting flea bites (transmitting diseases) and not being able to play in her yard. The feces is about 4 poops a day just by our front door. Also, note that we have tried deterrents with no success.

So we started to trap the cats, the neighbor found out and called another neighbor to come on our property and let out two cats from the trap. We caught them and the neighbors became hostile and threatening towards us. We contacted the police and made a police report. We are also in the process of getting a restraining order. The neighbors also called the city to report a violation of code enforcement regarding lawns because our lawn was overgrown. The city came out the next day and gave us two weeks to clean it. We tried discussing the cats but the city said it's not their problem. So lawns are eye sores and a city's problem, but cat feces is a health issue and it is not their problem.

So we have to deal with neighbors illegally coming on our property, letting out cats from our cat traps, feeding ill cared for cats and allowing them to defecate and damage our property, and deal with verbal abuse and hostility from neighbors. With the behaviors from our neighbors, we are worried about our safety if we continue to trap the cats but feel that we have to for our health, especially our baby's health. So is there anything we can legally do besides a restraining order?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I live in California. We have an issue with our neighbors since they are feeding about 20 feral cats. The cat defecate all over our property, including the driveway, front and back yard, and roof. The house inspector stated that the feces is damaging our roof. We contacted all city contacts, including animal control, and no one is able to do anything. They say that it is because they are short staffed. We have tried to resolve it calmly with the neighbor but they were not able to manage this colony. So animal control said to trap the cats and take them to the shelter. I let the neighbors know we will be doing this because we are worried about the sanitary issue with the cat feces (they look ill, are not vaccinated, and are not sterilized). We worry about our baby getting flea bites (transmitting diseases) and not being able to play in her yard. The feces is about 4 poops a day just by our front door. Also, note that we have tried deterrents with no success.

So we started to trap the cats, the neighbor found out and called another neighbor to come on our property and let out two cats from the trap. We caught them and the neighbors became hostile and threatening towards us. We contacted the police and made a police report. We are also in the process of getting a restraining order. The neighbors also called the city to report a violation of code enforcement regarding lawns because our lawn was overgrown. The city came out the next day and gave us two weeks to clean it. We tried discussing the cats but the city said it's not their problem. So lawns are eye sores and a city's problem, but cat feces is a health issue and it is not their problem.

So we have to deal with neighbors illegally coming on our property, letting out cats from our cat traps, feeding ill cared for cats and allowing them to defecate and damage our property, and deal with verbal abuse and hostility from neighbors. With the behaviors from our neighbors, we are worried about our safety if we continue to trap the cats but feel that we have to for our health, especially our baby's health. So is there anything we can legally do besides a restraining order?
Are moth balls legal in CA? Cats don't like them; I know people who put them in greenhouses to keep cats out and I've heard of hanging them under a vehicle in panty hose to keep cats off cars. It works rather well. :cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Aside from your legal issues, you should know that there are a lot of organizations dedicated to dealing with feral cat colonies. You should be able to get a referral from your local Humane Society.

jslopez

thanks for replies but

We have a dog and the cats don't go away, moth balls are lethal so don't have the heart for that, and feral cat orgs ask people to trap, neuter, release and you pay for it all. They don't care that people have deal with the poop. They say we have to just deal with it and watch for only that cats' welfare. Love animals but don't like cleaning their poop all day long...its a tough situation without many solutions I guess. Anymore ideas?

csi7

Moth balls would deter the cats - and actually are safe since you have to do this clean-up on your own. You could let the media bring it to public awareness, too.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
With a little one, I would NOT recommend moth balls. However, fresh basil & rosemary are natural (and safe) deterrents. So plant a bunch of that - and you get fresh herbs, too!

LdiJ

With a little one, I would NOT recommend moth balls. However, fresh basil & rosemary are natural (and safe) deterrents. So plant a bunch of that - and you get fresh herbs, too!
Basil in particular is very easy to grow and is prolific.

tranquility

I used Charlotte's suggestion to a single cat with an unknown owner who was making my kitty crazy. It was about $50 dollars and worked wonderfully.

Here, with the size and amount of the intrusion, if the above does not work, I believe the term is nuisance. The neighbor is substantially interfering with the use and enjoyment of the OP's property.

(Although mine was advertised as a deer repellant.)

jorgesalarcon

Electric Fence

I think an electric fence would probably be the best solution for solving this problem. Let us know here at https://www.freeadvice.com what ultimately works.

jslopez

Thanks for suggestions

I think I will look into planting basil and other plants. I heard cats don't like lavender and a few others. I just have to gather up the funds to do that, we have a decent size front and back yard. I will also look into the electric fence. It will not keep the cats from the roof possibly if the fence only helps in ground level. I am thinking about the media but does anyone have suggestions about how to go about this? I have never done this before. I also have thought about petitioning for a new city ordinance to regulate this but I worry about going up against animal activists that will be bigger and stronger in numbers. I also appreciate the comment stating that it does not allow us to enjoy our property, this is completely true! Lastly, we have a water sprinkler scarecrow but we are not able to put in the backyard because of our dog or the walk up to the front door because everyone will get wet! However, we will try the what I mentioned above and report back!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">