• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Children Climbing Fence and "trespassing" in our yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Slickvo

What is the name of your state? Missouri

We have some neighbors who allow their children to trespass in all neighbors yards and tear up property. We have locked the gates to the fence and asked the parents to keep the children out of the yard but they climb the fence and come into the yard any way. They have absolutely no reason to come into the yard and we have yelled at them and told them to get out of the yard and stay out. What is the legal justification to this and how can we stop the children from trespassing. They broke a shrub off and are always ringing our doorbell, so we had to cover the doorbell. Please help-it is getting very irritating to all the neighborhood and we all, would honestly, rather have them move than to tolerate this ill-behavior.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Slickvo said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

We have some neighbors who allow their children to trespass in all neighbors yards and tear up property. We have locked the gates to the fence and asked the parents to keep the children out of the yard but they climb the fence and come into the yard any way. They have absolutely no reason to come into the yard and we have yelled at them and told them to get out of the yard and stay out. What is the legal justification to this and how can we stop the children from trespassing. They broke a shrub off and are always ringing our doorbell, so we had to cover the doorbell. Please help-it is getting very irritating to all the neighborhood and we all, would honestly, rather have them move than to tolerate this ill-behavior.

My response:

What would you like us to do? Should we come to your neighborhood with a Louisville "Slugger" baseball bat, hunt those kids down, and break their little kneecaps?

IAAL

Shel77

You say you have talked to the parents and you say some neighbors so I assume this is more than one parents children. Are these kids left alone all day with no supervision? Or are the parents home and just don't care what their children do? When they come into your yard is it after school or durning school hours? Also are the children fairly young ( 10-11) or are they older? Have you tried putting barbed wire on the top of your fence,LOL? Just trying to figure out who you should contact to get this taken care of and what you can actually have done.

rmet4nzkx

Have you thought about calling the police when they are in your yard?
Old cures to this situation include dirty grease or tar on the fence and trees they climb, it won't hurt them but their mom will be pi$$ed and it won't happen again. Everyone in MO owns guns, by the way this was handled in the o'days was replacing buck shot with rocksalt :)

ms.magoo

Neighbour Children Climbing and "trespassing" in our yard

I think that I'd put up some " No trespassing " signs, an Trespassers will be prosecuted sign as well. That way the next time the kids go over the fence, call the cops, an they'll have consequences to pay. I don't think that their parents will appreciate having to take those kidlets to court for their actions. Let the Judge scare the beejusus outta of them, lol. Just my two cents. :D

Slickvo

This is 4 children of one family and the parents are home when this is happening. They keep saying "We will keep them out of the yard!" Observed one of the kids as she was going to climb the fence today and yelled NO and went out into the back yard and told her to STAY OFF THE FENCE! Called the police department to inquire as to what we could legally do and they said to post "No Trespassing Violators Will Be Prosecuted" signs, give it a week and if they continue to climb the fence, to call them and they will come out and charge the parents with trespassing. There is absolutely no reason for them to ever be in our yard and we cant let our dogs out in the yard because of these kids! I love kids dearly but am growing more and more intolerant of these kids. Hopefully, this will resolve sooner than later and without incidence. Deep down, dont trust the parents! Dont know why-just have that gut feeling!

IKNowNothing

Photograph them.

If you can, photograph them - especially if they're doing something wrong. Then make copies!!! Give one to the cops while you're filing a vandalism complaint and another to the parents of the brats.
If you're going to file a civil suit, make sure you get everything! - shrubs, damage to fence (scuffed paint counts), damage grass, etc ...

Another option:
Let's just say .... payback is a bitch. <Insert your own creativity here.>
When/if the cops come to talk to you, assuming you've filed a complaint in the past, just say in an angry and indignant voice "See! this is what I have to put up with! Now, they're going after the neighbors too!" The neighbors will be pointing their fingers at the other parent's brats and vice versa. Sit back and enjoy!

Here's my story. My parents had similar problem. Only, kids were running over their mailbox - repeatedly and often. My brother got the plates of the criminal. the cops just said "Well, you're on a sharp turn and accidents happen." even though they have BACKED INTO THE BOX, the cops wouldn't do anything.

What I'm saying is that, cops are overworked, stupid and lazy. DO WAHT YOU NEED TO DO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">