• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor claiming part of your yard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onechung

What is the name of your state?I live in San Diego, CA. I live in the house that my parents bought. My father built a fence behind the house on the east, north, and south borders of the property. The redwood fence was built in 1956. Throughout the years the fence became in disrepair. However, some part of the fence still established the north, south, and east borders. In 2000 I had a chain-link fence installed in place of the old fence. Here is the problem. The property on south was sold last year. The south property also includes land behind my east fence and the east fence on the north property. Last week the new owner had a survey down on his property. He wants build another house on his land. The survery taken shows that I will lose 16 feet of property on my east border. It wasn't until about 1983 when a house was moved to the south property. The south property had been a vacant lot for all those years. My father fence again was built in 1956.
The south property as stated had a house moved on it. A succession of rental tenants moved in and out. The last rental tenant had to be removed. The owner then sold the house to the present owner.
Do I have any ownership rights? Or will I have to move my east fence?

racer72

You need a land use attorney and soon. You may have rights to the property through adverse possession. See an attorney soon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">