• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor claims easement to my private drive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

just4ladejane

What is the name of your state? MISSISSIPPI

Can neighbor use private drive (he claims he has documentation that he has easement) His property is parallel to mine...hwy and beach south of us, he has a large drive way going up the other side of his house to the back past his carport. Where it stops. He has two rentals behind his house and asphalted parking area that will hold approximately 8 cars... one of the rentals faces the back of his house the other faces my driveway. His back yard is fenced, a gazebo and garden area set up...so renters and them also alot of the time use my drive way to access their homes from the back. There is NO land lock. All houses are on one lot HIS....they can access, have easement, on his l(own) land, to get to rental houses. My deed shows no easement except for the beach area...

I haven't said anything about it...but now he is talking of building a two story garage and making my drive 'his' main drive. So today I mention to him... "do you acknowlledge that thatis a private drive..." he told me "you can't keep me from getting to my property, I have papers that say I have easement to use that drive, we can go to court. (I am a single woman) he is a rich married man...was he bluffing?

I am going to the copurthouse Tuesday evening if I can get off work early enough.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

just4ladejane said:
What is the name of your state? MISSISSIPPI

Can neighbor use private drive (he claims he has documentation that he has easement) His property is parallel to mine...hwy and beach south of us, he has a large drive way going up the other side of his house to the back past his carport. Where it stops. He has two rentals behind his house and asphalted parking area that will hold approximately 8 cars... one of the rentals faces the back of his house the other faces my driveway. His back yard is fenced, a gazebo and garden area set up...so renters and them also alot of the time use my drive way to access their homes from the back. There is NO land lock. All houses are on one lot HIS....they can access, have easement, on his l(own) land, to get to rental houses. My deed shows no easement except for the beach area...

I haven't said anything about it...but now he is talking of building a two story garage and making my drive 'his' main drive. So today I mention to him... "do you acknowlledge that thatis a private drive..." he told me "you can't keep me from getting to my property, I have papers that say I have easement to use that drive, we can go to court. (I am a single woman) he is a rich married man...was he bluffing?

I am going to the copurthouse Tuesday evening if I can get off work early enough.

My response:

I read your post. Incredibly, your "legal question" is, "was he bluffing?"

Give me his phone number, and I'll ask.

IAAL

just4ladejane

I'll rephrase "can he have easement without my knowledge. without it being on my deed?" The house has been in the family for 15 years...no easement. I bought it 2 years ago. The neighbors, I believe, bought the property about 8 years ago...

I have also always has "Private Property" and Private Drive" Posted signs up too. Does that matter.

And excuse me for not being an expert, as yourself in all this....everyone loves a smartass!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">