• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor coming into my yard to take pics of my backyard.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CLJM

I can totally understand not wanting those things next to you, but this is supposed to be a kid friendly neighborhood. And there are LOTS of kids. I'm not sure, but I believe they have "55 plus" communities for those who are ready to settle into a nice, quiet solitude. And I don't really mind having an HOA, but I DO mind people taking photos of my house while standing in my backyard. CREEEEPY. I guess too, where I come from, if you have a problem with somebody, you talk to them face to face in a polite manner. That sneaky stuff just rubs me the wrong way. It shows a lack of spinal substance that I find intolerable.
Whether "kid friendly" or "55 plus", people purchase in a HOA community because of the protective and restrictive covenants.
To many, above ground pools and children's playcenters are an eyesore. That said....

Perhaps, the neighbor coming into the yard and taking pictures is a board member or a member of the architectural control board---whose job it is to oversee that the community guidelines are being followed and that violations are remedied.
And, it may not be meant as "sneaky". I know as a board member, I attempted to try to visit the sites when the owners were at home, but that wasn't always possible; sometimes I had 15 or so to visit before the next board meeting. The reason for my personal visits ??..... When neighbors or others would call and place a complaint against another, I wanted to go out and view the problem personally before I had to vote on the situation, thereby making it more fair for everyone. Many times, I too took pictures so that when it came to the vote, I could easily explain my vote, and other board members could understand the situation most clearly before they voted. A credible complaint gets a credible violation.....a frivolous complaint can easily be seen and gets no violation. Also, some board members wishing to remain annynomous, chose to purposefully not visit when a homeowner was home.

Through your Landlord, I hope you will begin to understand and appreciate how your HOA operates.

deeps5

Whether "kid friendly" or "55 plus", people purchase in a HOA community because of the protective and restrictive covenants.
To many, above ground pools and children's playcenters are an eyesore. That said....

Perhaps, the neighbor coming into the yard and taking pictures is a board member or a member of the architectural control board---whose job it is to oversee that the community guidelines are being followed and that violations are remedied.
And, it may not be meant as "sneaky". I know as a board member, I attempted to try to visit the sites when the owners were at home, but that wasn't always possible; sometimes I had 15 or so to visit before the next board meeting. The reason for my personal visits ??..... When neighbors or others would call and place a complaint against another, I wanted to go out and view the problem personally before I had to vote on the situation, thereby making it more fair for everyone. Many times, I too took pictures so that when it came to the vote, I could easily explain my vote, and other board members could understand the situation most clearly before they voted. A credible complaint gets a credible violation.....a frivolous complaint can easily be seen and gets no violation. Also, some board members wishing to remain annynomous, chose to purposefully not visit when a homeowner was home.

Through your Landlord, I hope you will begin to understand and appreciate how your HOA operates.
I don't know how long your lease is for but I'd certainly consider moving as soon as possible. Consider it a lesson learned. I see both sides of this having had kids and now in my sixties. There needs to be a better way for renters, tenants or prospective buyers to learn more about the mentality of their neighbors BEFORE moving. Some like kids....some don't. Before we bought our present home we talked to all our neighbors and more.

LdiJ

I don't know how long your lease is for but I'd certainly consider moving as soon as possible. Consider it a lesson learned. I see both sides of this having had kids and now in my sixties. There needs to be a better way for renters, tenants or prospective buyers to learn more about the mentality of their neighbors BEFORE moving. Some like kids....some don't. Before we bought our present home we talked to all our neighbors and more.
I personally don't see how anyone could consider a children's playscape to be an "eyesore".

Which is an example of why I will NEVER buy a home in a neighborhood with an HOA.

CLJM

It really isn't a matter of "liking" kids-----it's more a factor of people choosing the asthetics of the neighborhood in which they want to live.
And, as you said....it is important to check out the neighborhood BEFORE moving in; whether as an owner or renter.

CLJM

I personally don't see how anyone could consider a children's playscape to be an "eyesore".

Which is an example of why I will NEVER buy a home in a neighborhood with an HOA.
Ldij,
You might not think it a possible eyesore----BUT----consider---what one person sees as an "appropriate" child's playcenter, others may not. Ex: canvased covered vs metal sheeting, for instance, or...metal vs wooden structure, or....a 12 ' high structure, etc, etc, etc. It's all in the eye of the beholder. That is precisely why some communities opt for "guidelines"....and, some choose to not allow them at all---having instead, a community play area.
As a board member of one community, I remember dealing with front porch "flower pots". You would THINK there shouldn't be a problem---BUT---how about when a homeowner chooses to use TOILETS as flower pots flanking their front door ? !! And,it wasn't as a joke---they seriouisly thought nothing wrong with it.

LdiJ

Ldij,
You might not think it a possible eyesore----BUT----consider---what one person sees as an "appropriate" child's playcenter, others may not. Ex: canvased covered vs metal sheeting, for instance, or...metal vs wooden structure, or....a 12 ' high structure, etc, etc, etc. It's all in the eye of the beholder. That is precisely why some communities opt for "guidelines"....and, some choose to not allow them at all---having instead, a community play area.
As a board member of one community, I remember dealing with front porch "flower pots". You would THINK there shouldn't be a problem---BUT---how about when a homeowner chooses to use TOILETS as flower pots flanking their front door ? !! And,it wasn't as a joke---they seriouisly thought nothing wrong with it.
I get the point about the toilets...I really do.:D I even get the above ground pool bit. I still don't get the point about virtually any playscape.

CLJM

I get the point about the toilets...I really do.:D I even get the above ground pool bit. I still don't get the point about virtually any playscape.
As said....it's all in the eyes of the beholder---consequently, communities implement guidelines for "across the neighborhood" asthetics.
It's the same thought process for most anything---the HOA trying to address all likes and dislikes of the homeowners----which, is impossible to do---so, restrictions are based on the WHOLE of the neighborhood; some being more lenient or more restrictive than others---like, what KIND of flower pots, what KIND of pools, what KIND of playcenters.
As for playcenters specifically, I have seen some very nice unobtrusive ones---but, I have also seen some horrific ones. You can't please everyone---so, I am of the mind for no individual play centers, but rather a community play center area.
Many people don't understand what a HOA is all about---and,that is why many find fault AFTER they move in. It's all about "choice"....if you don't want restrictions running with your property, don't buy in a HOA community.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">