• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor constantly harasses me. I got arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColinWhite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Question:
If someone gets you arrested on bogus charges, and you lose your job; can you sue that person for lost wages?

About 6 monthes ago, I purchased my first house. Nice neighborhood, day care close by, my job near by. I have got along perfectly with all my neighbors, with the exception of the eldery lady across the street. She constantly calls the city police on me. Some of the things the police have showed up to my house for are:

She told the police I was looking in her bedroom window at 2:00a.m. (I was asleep at that time).
She told the police I killed a bird and forced her dog to eat it.
She told the police I was beating my daughter in the front yard (Daughter was at grandparents house).
She told the police I have a key to her house and I sneak in every night and threaten her.
She told the police I shot a gun at her (I don't own a gun).
She told the police I perform certain acts on myself outside her bedroom window.
She told the police my daughter told her I was molesting my daughter (Not true)
She told the police I tried to poison her dog by feeding it trash from her trashcan.
She told the police I steal her car late at night & leave it with no gas in it.
She told the police I have beaten her & her dog (I was at work when this occured).

The other neighbors, on her side of the road and on my side of the road have expressed to the police that she is crazy and none of this transpired.

About a month and a half ago, my daughter went to spend a week with her grandparents, my deceased wife's** parents. I decided to pick up extra hours at work, I was working 3 double shifts and 1 regular shift that week.

My next door neighbors, a sweet elderly couple, called me and asked if I would meet them for drinks and dinner. I agreed.
We met at a local restaurant, and they asked me if I would watch their house while they were on vacation. They planned a cruise to the Carribeans and were flying from there to France. I agreed. They wanted me to gather their mail, water their lawn, etc. They said I could use their pick-up truck if I needed to use it. I'm building a playhouse in the backyard for my daughter and the husband has driven me to the hardware store numerous times.

My NDNs & I finished our dinner and went home. The husband came over that night & gave me a spare house key and the truck key.

I drove them to the airport on October 6th at 8:00a.m. Then went home. I went to work the next 2 days, working double shifts, staying over as late as I could. When I got home it was almost 12:30a.m. I went next door and got the mail and brought it into my house with my mail.

I had some luimber I bought from my friend late September kept at my friend's house, so I used the pick-up truck to go get it. My friend works with me, and knew I was coming to get it.

I was pulled over by a County Sheriff officer around 1:45a.m.. The truck was reported stolen. The elderly lady informed 911 that she was the owner of the pick-up truck. I was arrested & taken to the station for questioning. Because the sheriff could not get a hold of the rightful owners, I remained in jail til I could see a judge. October 13th was Columbus Day and the courts were closed. I did not see a judge til Wednesday October 15th.

I posted bail, and went home. The Sheriff's office did get in contact with my NDNs, and clarified the situation. I was terminated for being absent from work from October 10th to October 15th. I was scheduled off work on October 9th.

I lost my job due to her. Can I sue her for lost wages?

**I'm a 22 year ol single father. Its been just my 3 year old daughter & I since she was 3 monthes old. I try to provide a good life for her, teach her right from wrong, no lying, etc.

Can I lose custody of my daughter over these false accusations?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia.

Question:
If someone gets you arrested on bogus charges, and you lose your job; can you sue that person for lost wages?

About 6 monthes ago, I purchased my first house. Nice neighborhood, day care close by, my job near by. I have got along perfectly with all my neighbors, with the exception of the eldery lady across the street. She constantly calls the city police on me. Some of the things the police have showed up to my house for are:

She told the police I was looking in her bedroom window at 2:00a.m. (I was asleep at that time).
She told the police I killed a bird and forced her dog to eat it.
She told the police I was beating my daughter in the front yard (Daughter was at grandparents house).
She told the police I have a key to her house and I sneak in every night and threaten her.
She told the police I shot a gun at her (I don't own a gun).
She told the police I perform certain acts on myself outside her bedroom window.
She told the police my daughter told her I was molesting my daughter (Not true)
She told the police I tried to poison her dog by feeding it trash from her trashcan.
She told the police I steal her car late at night & leave it with no gas in it.
She told the police I have beaten her & her dog (I was at work when this occured).

The other neighbors, on her side of the road and on my side of the road have expressed to the police that she is crazy and none of this transpired.

About a month and a half ago, my daughter went to spend a week with her grandparents, my deceased wife's** parents. I decided to pick up extra hours at work, I was working 3 double shifts and 1 regular shift that week.

My next door neighbors, a sweet elderly couple, called me and asked if I would meet them for drinks and dinner. I agreed.
We met at a local restaurant, and they asked me if I would watch their house while they were on vacation. They planned a cruise to the Carribeans and were flying from there to France. I agreed. They wanted me to gather their mail, water their lawn, etc. They said I could use their pick-up truck if I needed to use it. I'm building a playhouse in the backyard for my daughter and the husband has driven me to the hardware store numerous times.

My NDNs & I finished our dinner and went home. The husband came over that night & gave me a spare house key and the truck key.

I drove them to the airport on October 6th at 8:00a.m. Then went home. I went to work the next 2 days, working double shifts, staying over as late as I could. When I got home it was almost 12:30a.m. I went next door and got the mail and brought it into my house with my mail.

I had some luimber I bought from my friend late September kept at my friend's house, so I used the pick-up truck to go get it. My friend works with me, and knew I was coming to get it.

I was pulled over by a County Sheriff officer around 1:45a.m.. The truck was reported stolen. The elderly lady informed 911 that she was the owner of the pick-up truck. I was arrested & taken to the station for questioning. Because the sheriff could not get a hold of the rightful owners, I remained in jail til I could see a judge. October 13th was Columbus Day and the courts were closed. I did not see a judge til Wednesday October 15th.

I posted bail, and went home. The Sheriff's office did get in contact with my NDNs, and clarified the situation. I was terminated for being absent from work from October 10th to October 15th. I was scheduled off work on October 9th.

I lost my job due to her. Can I sue her for lost wages?

**I'm a 22 year ol single father. Its been just my 3 year old daughter & I since she was 3 monthes old. I try to provide a good life for her, teach her right from wrong, no lying, etc.

Can I lose custody of my daughter over these false accusations?
You can file a complaint against her for harassment and filing false reports against you. You can sue her for the harassment and injury caused you as a result of this harassment.

But you will want to sit down with an attorney in your area to discuss all of the facts. A suit against a crazy lady is not likely to be easy, even with an attorney. It is definitely not something you could be able to easily handle on your own.

ColinWhite

You can file a complaint against her for harassment and filing false reports against you. You can sue her for the harassment and injury caused you as a result of this harassment.

But you will want to sit down with an attorney in your area to discuss all of the facts. A suit against a crazy lady is not likely to be easy, even with an attorney. It is definitely not something you could be able to easily handle on your own.
Thank you. The sheriff did bring a detective in, and they discussed a tpo against her. I don't have the money for a lawyer just yet. My inlaws will pay for a lawyer if I can take it to court.

I dont care about the money so much, but Im worried that she will do something stupid and cost me my daughter. The money I hope to recover would just be lost wages til I get a new job.

quincy

Thank you. The sheriff did bring a detective in, and they discussed a tpo against her. I don't have the money for a lawyer just yet. My inlaws will pay for a lawyer if I can take it to court.

I dont care about the money so much, but Im worried that she will do something stupid and cost me my daughter. The money I hope to recover would just be lost wages til I get a new job.
I am not surprised that the sheriff and detective are thinking protective order. I am sure they are as fed up with her calls as you are. But they are required to investigate all complaints.

You can discuss with an attorney a temporary restraining or protective order but, while a restraining order can prevent the woman from contacting you, it really can't prevent her from continuing to call in complaints. You might want to find an attorney who will send a "cease and desist" letter to the woman, advising her that legal action is being considered and will be pursued if she does not stop the harassment. C&Ds sometimes work to halt objectionable behavior.

Because you do have a daughter, and this woman has cost you a job, however, taking legal action against her does not seem unreasonable. Good luck.

STEPHAN

The problem will not go away by itself. If you start legal action against her, chances are that her family gets wind of this and moves her to a places where she gets proper care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">